HybridZ

HOW MUCH TORQUE WILL IT TAKE?

Guest RACEB8

o.k., my first post after months of reading this site.i just aquired my first z-car, an '83 280zx.as luck (or fate) would have it, my other project vehicle just got totalled, & i now have a 420 hp 355 & turbo 400 to wedge into it.my question is: how much torque can the diff. & halfshafts/u-joints take?the car is a 5-speed, bone stock.also, what diff. would this car possibly have, & how can i tell the difference?thanx in advance for any help!!

Guest rick458

I think that car had a R200 and most folks will say it can handle the torque

if you dont shock load it but you will probably want to use the SPICER U-joints that is the primary failure point

The only thing stronger would be a R230 from a G35 or 350Z (and some Q-45s)

Yah, it should have the r200 out back.. you might look into getting a LSD though, as that much power is going to bring with it some serious traction issues IMO! :lol: I've heard the 'weaker' r180's can hold up for quite a long time at similar power levels, so yuo'd probly be alright.. unless you plan to drag the car, or like to pull smoking burnouts from a dead stop.. :twisted: but who doesn't like a few of those? :)

The R200 will handle up to around 600 HP but the half-shaft universals will give up around 450 Hp. I know one guy who's running stock but new universals on a supercharged LS1 making 420 HP and 420 LB-ft of torque and they're holding up fine so far. If you're not doing a lot of drag racing even the R180 will handle it. It's the shock load coming offf the line that really screws up the drive-train. A pegleg 3.90:1 R200 will be geared a bit low for a V8 application and will result in a nearly useless 1st gear and a lot of single tire wheel spin. Ive got a 3.70:1 LSD and it is barely ok. I would be better off with a 3.54:1.

Hey Bill :D

You're right about the 3.90 rear gear, you remember riding in mine? 1st goes by WAY too quickly followed by second. I just got my LSD (not in the car as of yet) with a 3.70.

So you're thinking the 3.54 gears are better? I've got a set of those too and was wondering if it would be worth the trouble to install them in the LSD.

Tell me your major gripe with the 3.70 are you doing a lot of freeway driving? I'm guessing you are. I'm only doing the twisty turns and stuff like the road to Branson. If you're interested in the 3.54's send me an e-mail (they're in a complete rearend right now).

David

Bill, I think you are running as big a tire as you can, correct. If not, you can run a taller tire. Since my fenders have been chopped for the VR conversion, I have monster 335/35/17's and have regained all mph/rpm and then some over a 23" tire with 3.7 I think if I ran 3.54's the tire would be too tall. My tires are just over 26" diameter. See if Zfan or somebody has some larger diameter drag radials you can slap on next time to Ennis for a few runs.

:shock:

Then again, you probably are already maxed out on diameter.

so, the r200 usually carries a 3.90 gear?that is actually quite suited to the rpm range of my engine. the range is 3200-6800, & with the gears in the truck it was in (3.23:1), i don't think i'd even be at the top of 2nd gear through the traps. have'nt had this engine to the track yet, though. btw, how close to ennis are you?

I wish I had 3.54 rear gears in my Z. I trap around 121 mph and that is the very top of 3rd gear in my Z. I do not want to go into overdrive.

I just installed a 3500 rpm 9.5" converter in my Z and I am guessing that will give me problems staying in 3rd. 6200/6400 rpms is alot to ask from my 383 sbc. By the way I run a 3.70 LSD rear end with half shafts and spicer/ brute force u-joints.

Last time to Ennis I exploded a u-joint and splayed the half shaft as well. The half shaft ear was twisted open. Talk about noise, it scared the crap out of me. Oh and I do not think I am anywhere near 450 rwhp..I only wish!!!!!!!!

Mike