HybridZ

and the best thing about living in Houston is...

260ZRED

If the State of Texas was to leave the U.S. and declare independence, it would rank the second highest country by the number of executions it conducts every year. (The U.S. would be first.)

If Harris county (thats Houston basicly) was to succeed from Texas, it would rank as the third COUNTRY by number of executions done each year.

I think Russia or China would be #4, I can't remember for sure..

How can it be? Houston execute more people than China? I think your source is not correct. How many people they said got excuted in Texas last year? I don;t have the number for China, but if you know who the system work in China, you will agree with me that China execute more criminals than any other county, may the whole world, combined.

Those figures are not correct China executes more than the rest of the world combined and those numbers are underated as many many go unreported. Also in the US the people being executed tend to have done things like take young girls from slumber parties and rape and torture them. In China it tends to be for political reasons and not just crimes. Also in Iran they executed 16-year-old girl on vague charges of un-Islamic behaviour not to long ago. So please if you are going to post facts check them:) And comparing apples to apples is always nice also.

People on Death Row in Texas, their crimes, age, photos, race etc.

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/offendersondrow.htm

Iran News

http://www.iran-press-service.com/ips/articles-2004/august/ateqeh_executed_27804.shtml

Amnesty International

http://www.amnestyusa.org/abolish/document.do?id=3E4211D4A5E4D9A080256E67005A4CAE

"In 2003, 84 per cent of all known executions took place in China, Iran, the USA and Viet Nam. In China, the limited and incomplete records available to Amnesty International at the end of the year indicated that at least 726 people were executed, but the true figure was believed to be much higher: a senior Chinese legislator suggested in March 2004 that China executes "nearly 10,000" people each year. At least 108 executions were carried out in Iran. Sixty-five people were executed in the USA. At least 64 people were executed in Viet Nam."

http://www.amnestyusa.org/abolish/document.do?id=3E4211D4A5E4D9A080256E67005A4CAE[/url]

I find the number of young black males on death row highly disturbing in Texas. What is the black population in Texas? Should the percentages of white, black, hispanic, etc. on death row closely match those of the surrounding population. Don't mean to get into anything, but the death penalty is disturbing to me for some reason. What happens in those cases where there wasn't strong evidence, but the person was convicted anyway?

Moridin The numbers we should check is the sentences for the same crimes for people of different races. That would be a better way to look at it. It is possible that more black people are committing more crimes. We might also look at the problems with culture, economics etc in the backgrounds of people commiting these crimes and see how best to fix them.

But also read the reports of the crimes and see what you think. These people do deserve to be executed. We should just make sure of every case.

Guest rick458

Many Many Professers these days have Hoya for brains

Texas has some of the nicest people you will ever meet

we will give you the shirt off our back, but you had best not be stealing it.