HybridZ

anything special about the lt1 i need to know

i have a 1973 240z and want to put an lt1 in it. i know about the jtr manual and kit. what i want to know is if i use an lt1 is there anything special i need to know about intalling it, and does the stock exaust manifolds fit and other little stuff like that.

also i want to put a supercharger on it, are there any kits that will fit in the z

Depends on what model vehicle that motor comes out of. For example if you get it out of say a Corvette, the CR is approx 10.5 to 1 thus making the supercharger or turbocharging a bit difficult. Where as on a lower CR motor like 8.5 or 9 to 1 this is much more doable.

Exhaust, what do you mean by stock? I'd say probably not.

Welcome to the forum. read-read-read, and then read some more bro!

Any specific questions you can PM me as I've installed a 94' LT-1 out of a Corvette, and am finishing up on the wiring.

gexgexgexgex,

I'm doing this exact install.

I have an LT1 from a 1995 Carpice cop car which I'm hooking to a world class GM T-5 transmission.

All 91 - 97 LT1s had at least 10:1 compression and some had 10.5:1 but supercharging or turboing is possible it just takes a llittle more work and research.

As for the stock exhaust manifolds, no they won't fit, but standard block hugger headers or the exhaust manifolds mentioned in the JTR manual will. You need to be aware that the aluminum head versions (Camaro/Firebird, Corvette) had angled plug heads so you might have clearance problems with those.

1995 is the year to get because the computer is still OBD1 and can be programmed with removing a chip. They also have a reconfigured opti-spark that eliminates moisture problems.

Go to LS1TECH.COM or LT1TECH.COM to get more information about the LT1 engine.

Wheelman

1995 is the year to get because the computer is still OBD1 and can be programmed with removing a chip. They also have a reconfigured opti-spark that eliminates moisture problems.

HuH???

93 and earlier can be reprogrammed by changing a chip.

94 and up computers need to be re-flashed. Use Tunercat or LT1-edit.

f-body 94-95 are OBD1, 95 uses the OBD2 ALDL plug on OBD1 computer. 96/97 are OBD2. OBD2 can be re-programmed with LT1-edit (OBD2 version), but it costs alot more than the OBD1 version and the cable is vehicle specific. If you are going to run a 4L60E transmission with a high stall converter, invest in the OBD2 set-up, there are issues with the OBD1 computer and high stall converters, the transmissions don't shift right at WOT no matter what you change the shift points to and people are burning up the transmissions. OBD2 controls the transmission much better. You can easily swap an OBD1 computer into 96 and 97 OBD2 wiring harnesses. Just change the knock sensor and leave the rear O2's unplugged.

Jody

I'm doing an LT1 conversion as well (with a T56 6-speed) into my 73 240Z.

I'm wondering where I should install my computer. I'm relocating my battery to the back, so I'm wondering if I can put it where the battery used to be. Will I be able to provide enough protection from the heat? I was also thinking of removing the glove box and putting it there. I don't want to remove my heat, ventilation, and stereo.

I've done this swap too. Since you are relocating the battery aft the old battery area is a very viable option. Depending on your harness that location should not require cutting and splicing extra wire lengths in. Always preferable if you can avoid cutting perfectly good OEM wires.

Heat should not be an issue as long as it's not too close to the headers. In the f-bodies the ECM is located directly over the rear area of the right valve cover and crammed under the windshield. If GM designed it to live comfortably (and warranty it) in that rather harsh location it should be happy as a clam on the old Datsun battery shelf.

Heat should not be an issue as long as it's not too close to the headers. In the f-bodies the ECM is located directly over the rear area of the right valve cover and crammed under the windshield. If GM designed it to live comfortably (and warranty it) in that rather harsh location it should be happy as a clam on the old Datsun battery shelf.

Thanks Dan. Should I provide any heatshielding or just bolt it right up to the firewall naked? :oops: