HybridZ

What strut cartridge to use in the rear??????

Guest V8Z

Hi, I DID A SEARCH, but there are so many contradictions that I need some help making a decision. I have a 1973 240z with a 350 smallblock. I have section the front strut tube 2" and installed a VW strut cartridge. This all is working great. What I need to have simplified is the rear. As of right now it is completely stock. How much should I section the rear strut tube ( 1.5 or 2.0 to match the front ) and what strut cartridge should I use? What cars will work here? Part#? Thanks!

Use a stock 240 front cartridge in the rear and section 2". If you want to be really really careful get the cartridge first and measure, but I'm 99.9999999999999999999% sure it is 2".

I did mine a couple months ago and this is what I remember doing, but I used the MR2 rears in the front, so I remember sectioning the front 1.5" and the rear 2".

Hey Jon,

A couple of years ago we put short Illuminas in the front on a 280. The "D" shape in the rubber isolator had to be drilled out because the struts we bought did not have the flat ground on the end. Also the gland nuts supplied would not fit

I just got a set of short Illuminas for my 240. These are 1.75" shorter than stock and have the "D" shape rod end. Also the gland nuts supplied fit perfect.

What do think the original applications for these cartridges is? Do you think the first ones were for a Rabbit and the ones I have now are for the MR2?

After doing some more poking around in the search forum about sectioning struts on a 240z I have a new question. As stated earlier the front of my car has already been shorten 2" and has the VW insert in it. The front also has motorsport lowering springs, I guess this is why he section the struts.This was all none by another ower of the car. The rear is stock. I've been driving it like this for a year now and it handles pretty good. Well, I now want to put 17x8 rims on this car so I'm going to put coilovers on the car all the way around. Now keep in mind that this is only a street car that will not see a race track. Can I leave the front like it is (sectioned) with coilovers and just not do anything to the rear but the coilovers and it still look and drive good? If I have to section the rears I will but I can see spending all that time for a mod. that really just for racers. And I don't want the car to be so low the it's not driveable What are your thoughts fellas? Thanks