HybridZ

Notching the frame rail?

Well, after all said and done, John Coffey's comment made over a year ago is about to be put into effect.

I need to notch out my passenger side frame rail about 3" in length, and about 1.5 " deep at most for header clearance, I assume it's safe to just cut out the portion, and weld in a 14 or 16ga steel plate to fill in the holes and reinforce the weakness I'll create by cutting a section out?

Any specific tips/hints/tricks? There is clearance...but very very little. If the motor rocks side to side (it is on solid mounts) it will hit the rail. I can try tilting it a little bit, but I don't want to tilt the oilpan too much.

Frame rail notching is sort of last resort, but I'd like to get all opinions on this prior to doing any cutting. Any severe cons ?

We notched both frame rails on the Tomahawk to make clearance for the sidepipes.

Obviously you want to be very careful to completely support both sides of the area to be notched before cutting. We had the car up on eight jack stands. we shimed each one and banged on them to estimate the load each one had. Only untill we were pretty damn sure the jacks were equally supporting the weight of the car did we cut.

We used 3/16" mild steel plate and , like John said, our reinforcement pieces spanned about four inches past the notch both for and aft. We used a section of 3" steel pipe cut in half to fill in our notch. Welded those in then ground and fitted the reinforcement pieces on each side of each rail and welded them in too. These pieces took a while to fit. We wanted the notched area to be completely supported from the top of the frame rails to the bottom.

Came out very strong. At least as strong as before.