HybridZ

L28ET Issues...

Guest Cronic

Im having excess crank case oil coming out of the valve cover breather, and the PCV. The car is missing badly under boost and I'm not sure why. The vacuum is good 18-20. I replaced the plugs, which were very white, but showed no signs of detonation or piston on them. The HG appears OK, but it could be the issue. Im running 19psi on a 57 trim t3/t4.

Im a bit worried about the rings, but more likely it's the stock HG that went. Does anyone have some advice? Im waiting on the return of my compression tester from a friend today to test that.

Thanks

With oil coming out of the pcv and the valve cover breather I would say it is a blown piston ring or two. I would do a compression test asap. Hope this helps.

thats what i think... but sometimes a compression test wont tell ya anything..

i did one on my blue Z and it read fine but the motor needed a total rebuild..

mike

So on the way home from work today.... the car ran beautiful, even under 15psi... I got nearly home and it popped the coil plug off, so I pulled over and reattached it. When it started up, it began doing this again! So I drove home called my friend up to get my comp tester, but he wasn't in yet. So I ended up passing out early.

Woke up this morning again, ran beautiful under 15psi. Once the car warmed up to full operating temp however, it began spuddering again!

What could be causing this?

def a compression issue, all cyls were above 139 except cyl 1. Which was 100psi. :( Rad fluid looks milky, everyone pray for my HG to be blown and not rings. :lol:

Piston rings are definatly the culprit here. They may have just been old, and the detonation finished them off. compression last night was 90 psi in cyl1, after adding oil, it rose to 120. So I guess I have to run the car like this for a while until I get the money up for new rings and bearings.