HybridZ

Starting SBF engine after three year sit

Ferd/289

Don't ask why, but my 280Z/SBF 289 has been sitting in my garage and up on stands for about three years. The engine had run before for a brief time as a break in, and now I want to get the my 280Z/289 SBF running again.

Here is my plan, all you real mechanics out there please check my thought process. BTW, I used to crank it with the starter once every three months but have not for at least a year and a half ( if not more ). SOOOOOOOOOO! :lol:

1. I plan to take out spark plugs and squirt WD40 and motor oil into the cylinders

2. Change oil

3. Gas up hitherto unfilled ( previously drained ) gas tank with racing gas or high test with about 5 gallons

4. prime carb ( 4150 Holley ) with a couple of teaspons of gas and make sure floats are floating and electric pump pumping-it has a gas pressure guage

5. Make sure engine turns by use of a socket and drive on the balancer nut turning clockwise (while looking at front of engine). Maybe turn 360 degrees??

6. I would like to prime oil pressure with a drill, but dont know how. Any instructions would be helpful!

6. Set distributor on cylinder 1 TDC

7. Crank it up.

What do you think?

:wink: Ferd

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

Look in the spark plug holes for rust on the cylinder walls. If there's rust, disassemble and clean the engine.

Change the oil and filter. Put engine oil in the cylinders with all plugs removed, and turn the engine over by hand as many times as you can stand. A long breaker bar and some beer will help.

Change the oil again.

Buy a priming tool and prime it by spinning the distributor gear. You may also be able to "rent" one from a local shop if you sweet talk 'em.

Fire it up and follow break in procedure.

Change the oil again.

Drive carefully until the rings have a chance to seat.

I've "awakened" MANY dead engines, and I usually just go ghetto and squirt oil into the cylinders and turn it over with the coil wire unhooked for about 5 five-second bursts, then fire it up... but they aren't MY engines... they're in cars that I plan to sell.

I think your plan sounds good. The only thing I would add is to find out how to pre-lube with a drill (remove distributor, insert pre-lube tool, run drill for a few minutes, insert distributor).

I personally wouldn't use WD40 but thats just me.

Wheelman

I've used old dizzys to do this. I just removed the gear on the dissy and the stuff on top. set the dizzy in, bolted it down, hooked up a 1/2" variable speed drill and went to town, after I changed the oil. Make sure you pull the plugs, look for rust, and marvil mystry oil the spark plug holes. As stated above, check for rust first. after 5 to 10 mins of this, put your good dizzy back in (making sure you marked it so it will go in the same location) and crank it over by hand for awhile. Change oil and filter, put in plugs, and fire it up. You should be ok.