HybridZ

Wired the car but it wont start. Any suggestions?

violacleff

Ok, first of all to deal with your fuel pump wiring read a post I made in the turbo/super forum called "Getting motor running" http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=96479&page=1&pp=10

Next, the stock turbo injectors push 260cc/min and you are feeding the engine with 500cc injectors? You are putting almost twice the amount of fuel required into the engine, I doubt it will start let alone run. You need the ecu to tell the injectors to slow down the injection pulses to compensate for the larger injector volume. I am not familiar with the "greddy e-manage" but if it works anything like a apexi air/fuel controller DON'T DO IT!! Those piggy back systems don't work very well at all. I know a guy who got detonation and put a rod right through a block using a piggy-back system. My advise is to re-chip the z31 ecu. You will be much happier with the results I'm sure! To do a re-chip you need a 87+ ecu, if yours is older than 87 then get your hands on a newer one. The ecu can be turbo or n/a one, it dosn't really matter.

As for your spark problem, that could be alot of things, were you successfully running a L28et ecu before you did the z31 swap? There are extra wires that have to be connected to the + and - of the coil when you do the z31 swap. Is it possible you missed that?

If you need details on re-chipping your ecu then email me.

OK I have an l28et w/a z31ecu. I checked the firing order and turned the dizzy to no avail. Another problem I'm having is that I can't figure how to wire the fuel pump so that it only runs when the car is on. It runs as soon as I hook up the battery (I posted this in the fuel section and got no advice). Well I have 500cc injectors that I plan to control with a greddy e-manage. I was trying to fire up the car on the z31 ecu w/out the e-manage so that it wasn't a variable if the car didn't start. I realized the car would probably run super rich but I figured it would still fire so I would at least know that I had it wired properly. Is this a wrong assumption? BTW way when I crank the car, it spins but does not fire. What else should I check? Could it be the injectors that won't let it spark? I get about 40 psi of fuel when I crank the car. I'm all out of ideas at this point other then investing in a nicer car cover.

Is it something about the z31 ecu specifically that doesn't respond well to piggybacks? I see the e-manage used on a lot of high boosted cars. Damn. Maybe I'll just have to let my car sit another six months while save up for a haltech or something. I do have the extra wires that you mentioned wired with the coil. Oh well. I knew the car would run like crap with those injectors, I just wanted to see if it would start first and then set a map with the e-manage. I bought this motor rebuilt from a member here so I have never ran it and don't have any of the stock stuff (injectors). I guess I'll keep watching for a group buy on ems's. Anyone got a good car cover they recommend?

Is it something about the z31 ecu specifically that doesn't respond well to piggybacks? I see the e-manage used on a lot of high boosted cars. Damn. Maybe I'll just have to let my car sit another six months while save up for a haltech or something. I do have the extra wires that you mentioned wired with the coil. Oh well. I knew the car would run like crap with those injectors, I just wanted to see if it would start first and then set a map with the e-manage. I bought this motor rebuilt from a member here so I have never ran it and don't have any of the stock stuff (injectors). I guess I'll keep watching for a group buy on ems's. Anyone got a good car cover they recommend?

I'm not a expert on how a piggy back system works but the way it was explained to me is that it fools the ecu into changing the mixture by messing the the timing (not exactly a good thing) My question to you is why did you go to the trouble of going to a z31 setup if you want to use a aftermarket management system anyway? You may not realize that you have a very good setup already (you just have to get it tweaked) The z31 ecu can be altered to run any injectors (and HP) you want and the timing advance curve can be modified to give VERY good results compared to the stock ecu. I can tell you that I've seen people that use SDS and Mega-squirt systems and even though they are very expensive they are not the ultimate answer as they are VERY complex to tune properly. My buddy with a SDS still has little bit of stumble and hic-ups under certain rpm/engine loads. I'm not saying that those systems suck but considering their cost I think the modified z31 ecu is a much better choice. Even my friend with the SDS thinks so..

In that case, I have a few questions. I have not yet started the motor since rebuild. If I were to get the ECU modified would I need to do that after I've broken in the motor (say with stock injectors)? I'm guessing it would have to have a specific set tune for 15psi opposed to 6 psi. I thought that making different maps for low and high boost would be the advantage of using an aftermarket ems. I've been now contemplating just letting the car sit until I can afford a haltech or sds. Or buying stock injectors and running the car stock until I can afford the ems and switch back to my 500cc injectors. BTW where would I have the ECU modified? Anyone else on here who's used modified ECU vs. sds, haltech, ect. please pipe in with your opinion.