HybridZ

dash lights + rear lights out

Guest BrandenZ

Guest BrandenZ

All of them were out when I was leaving a friend's place late one night, then about 2 miles away, they all came back on. Now they're out again. If I hit the hazard switch (which is also not illuminated), the turn signals and rear lights will flash, as well as the arrows on the speedo. All the fuses in the box underneath the cover near the shifter are okay. I fiddled with the dimmer switch too.. nothing.

Anyone know what may cause clicking the light stalk over 1-notch to do absolutely nothing? Headlights are fine, everything else is kaputt.

Thanks!

I had the same problem and found out that the fuse holder clip for the dash lights and rear lights are not making good contact with the fuse.

The clips in the holder have weakened fover the years from heating and cooling. I tried to bend that tabs closer together to sqeeze the fuse more, but it just got so bad that I had to buy a new fuse panel.

Problems solved now ( well I guess for another 30 years or so)

Jeff

Guest BrandenZ

Jeff -- That's exactly what was wrong with mine as well. I was just about to post up my findings when I read your post. Just the simple contact of a multimeter probe to the 'trouble' fuse was enough to bridge the contact and get the lights up and running again. Considering how expensive one of those fuse boxes are, I'm going to make an effort to clean it up with a wire-wheel dremel attachment and see if maybe that'll do the trick.

I do have a seperate problem where my turn signal switch doesn't engage the indicators, but the hazard switch works just fine. The turn signal switch does work the brights correctly, just not the turn signals. I'll probably try the hazard switch suggestion and see if that helps.

Sorry to tell you this BrandenZ, I had that problem too.

Its the turn signal assembly. The contacts in there are pitted from arching and have a bit of carbon on them

You can actually take that switch mechanism apart and lightly sand the contacts, but it doesnt last long.

The sanding takes away what little silver there was on the contact pads and the pitting and carbon comes back even quicker.

Best thing to do is get a replace assembly, either new one or a good used one.

Jeff