HybridZ

Ford T-bird 255 in a 280zx... or 302?

Guest aoi_kirby

Guest aoi_kirby

Well so far I have the car, 1983 280zx, with a seized up straight 6 engine, and I am willing to go with putting a v8 inside. My first problem is I have two other engines to pick from… One is a Ford Thunderbird 255 for free or a Ford Mustang 302 which will cost me $500. Just by looking through the forums and net Chevy has a lot more documentation, parts made, etc… for the conversion. What I want to know is if I try to go cheap by getting a ford for less over a Chevy; in the long run will it really be cheaper after doing all the customizing?

Guest aoi_kirby

Ok it looks like I can't find a good enough reason to go with the 255 besides it's free... so I am going with the 302 from a Lincoln town car in my 280ZX, and I was wondering if anyone on this forum has used a 302 from a Lincoln in their Z? Also I see v8 kits for 280ZX on zcarparts.com but read in another forum that ZX's have 3" less space in the engine bay and was wondering if this was true and if it is a big problem for a ford engine in theory?

I've not installed a SBF in a ZX (I believe there are a couple of projects like this in the works though from a couple of our members), but a reduction of a few inches in regards to engine bay length will not be an issue (using the core support-firewall length as my reference). The primary concern will be the crossmember position. If it has been moved closer to the firewall on the ZX verses the Z (oil pan clearance issues), then you may have a problem, but I've not measured the two so I cannot speak to that.