HybridZ

Headers for 350V8 ZX

Guest ENovacek

Guest ENovacek

Hi.

Putting a crate 350v8 I just got from Sallee Chev (380HP) into my '82 ZX. I could sure use some advice on where to get headers to clear the steering column. Using MSA mount kit and fuel pump.

MSA suggested using passenger side header on the drivers side. Sounds good, but I'm not sure where to get 'em.

Thanks!

Gene

I have two cars that are being used to develop the ZX V8 swap. One is simply a cut-up chassis that allows me to test fit engine and transmissions, and take pictures that cannot be taken with a whole car. The other car is a complete original ZX that will hopefully be used to make a V8 conversion manual.

I don't think headers can easily be made to clear the ZX power-steering box.

To make a long-story short, the ZX rack-and-pinion steering can easily be added to a car which originally came with a steering box. Most 1982 and newer ZX's came with power rack and pinion steering. All 1979-1981 without power steering came with manual rack and pinion steering.

To convert a ZX to rack and pinion steering, the following parts are required:

crossmember with steering rack and tie rods

steering shaft, complete to the rubber coupler that attaches to the steering column.

The parts required for the rack-and-pinion conversion can normally be purchased at the pick-your part wrecking yards for less than $200. I have noticed a number of ZX's at the wrecking yards, so availability of the parts is not a problem.

One more note, the power rack and pinion uses the same hydraulic pressures as the steering box, and it is about the same pressure as used in Chevrolet Camaro's .

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a pic of the header that I made for my LT1 powered 280ZX with the recipocating ball type P/S system....

header_done-267x178.jpg

I have it JET HOT COATED now though. Looks nice but I have 2 very small leaks that I need to fix this winter and then have it recoated. And yes I know that not having equal length pipes is not ideal but its better than a manifold! And I dont have to explain why I have a manifold on one side a a header on the other!

Oh and if you have D-Ports the stock LT1 manifold will clear the steering gear box with some very very minor trimming on the manifold. It would only take about 5 minutes to make an LT1 manifold fit. I had one on my car until I made the header and it rubbed just a little bit on the steering gear box when Iwould make right hand turns(motor would shift just enough so that I could feel a vibration in the steering wheel). The LT1 passenger side does not fit though, but you could use a ram horn style of manifold for that side, which is found on a lot of 70's 350's.

Guy

Guy

I just saw an auction on Ebay for a set of headers made by BBK for the 93-95 LT1(should still fit an older SBC though). The drivers side header sure does look a lot like the header that I made!.....

a7_12_sb.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33631&item=7944448133&rd=1

Even if you bought these and it didnt work you could resell them! Someone with a SBC 280ZX and the gearbox style of P/S system should try these. I doubt the passenger side will work though? But you might be able to sell that one on a LT1 forum?

Guy

Edelbrock also makes a header for the 1993-1997 Camaro LT1 that almost fits the driver's side of the ZX with the steering box. The header looks similar to the BBK header, but the rear-most tube on the driver's side comes up higher and it contacted the powerbrake booster.

I have tried a number of different headers and manifolds on the V8 ZX and came to the following conclusion: Headers can be made to work with the steering box, but they would be expensive, and as "80LT1" pointed out, the LT1 exhaust manifolds can be used on the driver's side (and passenger's side).

I have been selling V8 Z parts since 1990, and the 1979-1983 ZX V8 market appears to be very limited, and most people want to keep costs down -- I doubt we will sell more than twenty V8 ZX kits a year, and I doubt we will sell more than ten sets of headers a year. One of the reasons we are getting into the ZX market is that we hope to sell more radiators and mounting brackets to people who already have V8 ZX's, but have cooling problems. Also, we already offer the same aluminum radiator kit for 6-cylinder ZX's, and it is selling well.

Because I am trying to sell low-cost headers for the V8 ZX swap, I think the best solution for people who want to run a lower-cost header is to change to the rack-and-pinion steering. The rack-and-pinion steering weighs less than the recirculating ball set-up, and it has a more precise feel.

and as "80LT1" pointed out' date=' the LT1 exhaust manifolds can be used on the driver's side (and passenger's side).

[/quote']

I tried to use the passenger side manifold with my car but it hit on the frame rail? I am using the MSA motor mount kit, are the JTR mounts that much different?

Guy

I'm sorry, you are correct. The Camaro LT1 passenger side manifold outlet does stick out more than the exhaust manifolds used on the 1988-1992 Camaro TBI manifolds. The 1988-1992 Camaro TBI manifolds can be used on the ZX's with the steering box.

The mounts we are making for the ZX V8 swap position the front of the engine about 1/2" lower than the MSA mounts, and the mounts have slotted mounting holes to allow moving the engine rearward by about 2" if you don't mind hammering the firewall and modifying the hood latch bracket for distributor clearance. The mounts also slotted to allow positioning the engine side to side.

The transmission mount we are making positions the transmission about 1" higher than the MSA transmission mount, which provides better driveline angles. However, the transmission mount we are making is much more difficult to install than the MSA transmission mount.

Hopefully, the photographs and some basic instructions will be on the JTRpublishing.com website within the next few weeks.

Yeah haveing the mounts slotted would deffinetly be nice. I know I could move my motor back about 2" no problem. Not to mention that would help with header clearance. I think if my motor was set back 2" the BBK header might fit on the drivers side? Of course Im using an LT1 so there is no issue with a distributor hitting the firewall. I dont know how much I could drop the motor down though. There isnt much clearance as there is with the MSA mounts. I think a 1/2" would be it? I know I could use 2" of clearnce up front by the fan! Right now there sure isnt much!

Guy