HybridZ

clutch issues

philiow313

i love this stuff, man.

i have a 81 280zx, NA, w/ 5 speed, and 2 seater. The clutch started slipping, so i bought a clutch kit and flywheel from NAPA. turns out they gave me the wrong clutch kit (they gave me one for a 2+2), right flywheel. so then they tell me i cant get the right one until monday (today). i went to AutoZone (EEK!) and got the right size clutch. Put it in, Still slips. pulled the tranny out, looked to be all ok, put it back, figuring we'd installed it wrong the first time. Nope. Still Slips. So the clutch from NAPA comes in today, and im gonna have the kit from them in today.

I'm thinking my original pressure plate went bad, and then the plate from AutoZone was bad to begin with. Anyone agree? Other possibilities? Hydraulics are all ok.

Pressure plates don't usually "go bad". I think it is something in the hydraulic setup that is causing the issue. Do you have any freeplay in the pin that goes from the pedal to the clutch master cylinder? You should have 1/8 to 3/16 free play. I'd be willing to bet that this is the problem.