HybridZ

Ok to use ATF in stock 78 280z 5 speed?

Guest motohead400

Guest motohead400

Hello everyone, I know that this may be the wrong forum for this question, but I posted it at zcar.com and didn't really get any definitive responses. So is it ok to run ATF in the 78Z 5 speed? I need to drive it home 250 miles for X-mas (where a friend has redline waiting for me) but I really wanna get the old tranny fluid out as it has started to whine a tiny bit (transmission bearing I'm sure as it disappears when the clutch is depressed) and I'm hoping it may just be old/low fluid and I can't find any GL-4 lubricant around where I live. I also want to check for metal in the oil before driving the distance. Finally, does anyone know how quickly a bearing whine usually progresses in these transmissions? It's very minor right now (once the tranny warms up) and only has 117K on the tranny and the previous owner drove it like a pansy.

So is it ok to run ATF in the 78Z 5 speed?

as it has started to whine a tiny bit (transmission bearing I'm sure as it disappears when the clutch is depressed)

ATF is not the best fuild for that trany, but will due for a short period of time.

Sounds like a clutch/pressure plate throw out bearing more than an internal bearing (with out hearing it in person of course).

Guest motohead400

Thanks for the reply Dcarrow. I'm pretty sure the noise is unfortunately in the transmission. To my understanding if it's the throwout bearing it will make noise when the clutch pedal is pushed in. Mine only makes noise when the clutch is engaged (pedal not depressed), even if just sitting with it in neutral. It's more of a growl than a whine I guess, but nonetheless seems to be a bad sound. Now that it's getting colder it is much more noticable when cold, and only slightly noticable when the transmission oil warms up from driving. It also seems to make less noise in 4th which is indicative of a bearing. I'm really curious as to how concerned I should be at this point.

Not disagreeing with your assessment, but my personal experience with worn TOBs is the opposite. The noise has gone away when I depress the clutch. In any case, I hope you find the problem and it isn't too expensive to correct. Good luck.

Guest motohead400

Hmm, well I would certainly be happy to be wrong! I'd much rather replace the TO bearing than a transmission bearing! Thanks for the help! Guess I need to let a transmission expert listen to it to be sure. The transmission does shift fantastic, even under WOT and powershifting so hopefully it is the TO bearing.