HybridZ

For those of you that have seen the SBC Z32 and SBC 280ZX swaps...

Guest Ripoff

First off, I want to say that this site has a marvelous amount of information on it, and now I'm seeing plenty of V-8 Z32 swaps here that look incredibly well done.

I currently own a 1993 N/A Z32, and after driving my brother's Mustang Cobra, I'm starting to feel the lack of power in the car. So, there happens to be an okay-condition 280ZX at my good friend's apartment, which I am planning to buy if at all possible, and probably do the legendary SBC swap, maybe even an LS1/T56 if I can find a smashed Trans-Am or Camaro SS around the area.

...However, after seeing that some of you happen to own Z32's with V-8's, and now I'm caught up in a halfway point; do I go the route of the Z32 with an LS1/T56, or do I sell that, find a pretty good 280ZX, and go from there?

To be honest, I've never driven a V-8 Z of sorts, so this is where you guys can chime in and help me. Is it better to build up a Z32 that I already own, know is relatively trouble-free, and call it a day? Just to let you know, this is also the model with the wonderful (and I do mean wonderful) climate control system that goes into the ECU and sets the temperature perfectly every time; however, I know that by removing my stock ECU that sucker's gonna go down the drain, and probably cause some headaches in the end.

Or, alternatively, should I go with my original plan and sell my Z32, buy a southern-area 280ZX, and build up the LS1/T-56 setup from there?

First off, I'm into the swap to get overall a well-balanced machine that will shred some tire when commanded. This is why I'm doing the "Z thing" rather than buy an F-Body/Mustang. Is the 300ZX much more of an animal than the N/A version with an LS1? Would a 280ZX with the lighter body be "faster" with a comparably equipped engine/transmission?

I really wish I knew more about this than simply what I've found so far on the internet, but I guess that's why I'm asking all of you for help. It would be a great help if some of you could chime in on any potential reasons why you would pick one setup over the other; again, I'm not new to wrenching on a car, but i'm new to SBC's and engine swaps.

I appreciate any input you may have about this.

Edit: That's quite a novel I wrote there.

Guest shadow z

here's my take:

I have removed, rebuilt and replaced the entire driveline assembly in my Z32.

A SBC can be done, but with good effort, the Z32 is quite compact as it is.

Although i am attempting such, i'd recommend the 280 or whatever. Im doing mine because im frustrated with the repair costs of the VG30. (i bought a lemon)

Why don't you keep the z32 as a daily driver, and save up money for the 280zx v8 conversion? It's been a couple of years since I've put in a 355 in my 280zx, and I've had to pull it back out, twice. It will be going back in this weekend (hopefully :-/ ) I don't know what I would've done if I didn't have my second driver (4 banger Ranger). Then again, it really all depends on how you build the engine up -- I originally half-assed mine, and swapped in a block that I saw run great, but it was in terrible shape, and I failed to do even simple tests that would've strayed me away from it. Anyways, unless you don't have to drive anywhere, I'd suggest keeping the z32 (since it looks like you're attached to that climate control so much) or at least buy a cheap daily driver, unless you already have one. Since you're inexperienced with swaps, I really doubt you'll be able to complete it shortly. Good luck

Why don't you keep the z32 as a daily driver, and save up money for the 280zx v8 conversion?

I appreciate the advice, and yes, you're correct, with this being my first true engine swap and all, I'm going to be in a bit of trouble when it comes to the daily driver. However, here's my reasoning:

First off, I live in the city, and parking is at a premium. Therefore, my Z32 stays at home already with my incredibly kind parents, locked and tucked away in a garage. If I were to get the 280ZX, there would be no place to keep it. Second off, I'm a college student, and I was planning to use the funding from selling the Z32 (which do get a significant amount of cash here in PA), and do the swap and minor restoration from there.

Second off, I have great extended family and friends that have done this sort of work before; my Uncle's been swapping engines in and out of Fords for years, and my close friends can weld and fabricate with the best of them. All it comes down to is my personal planning and ability to get everything I need together all at once: once that's completed, getting it in will probably be the easier part.

Again, I do apprecate the advice, and if anything I'm probably going to have to look into a $500 honda civic to live outside and tide me over for my summer jobs and such until the 280ZX gets completed. However, I was hoping that I could get everything together at once, and take a solid week off of work to shoehorn the engine in and get stuff working correctly. Just buy it all beforehand, and have the parts at my side to get things to work.

As an added bonus, it turns out my Dad's one friend happens to be a huge Corvette enthusiast, and buys them to blueprint the engines and resell the vehicle as a more "high performance" variant (although I dunno how you could make an LS1 faster without forced induction or an LS6 kit), and I can probably ask him where the best places to find a LS1 is, then it comes to the point of finding a T-56 and bellhousing from there. Unfortunately, wrecked Trans-Am's and Camaro SS's are hard to come by here.