HybridZ

Smokin '

Guest MaXbOOst

Guest MaXbOOst

My Z , ever since i fired her up , smokes pretty bad, i seen the motor run before it was pulled from the other car , and it didnt smoke then.

now it smokes like crazy..

so , ive narrowed it down to my turbo , i believe the oil seal is broken on it , but the turbo came from a car with fairly low milage...

but , ive also heard sometimes the type of oil you use could seep through your seals in the turbo and cause it. im using :

Quaker State 10W-30 High Horsepower synthetic blend

im not too sure if the cars motor has ever ran synthetic before......

so before i change out the turbo , should i try to change the oil to see if that does it ??

i have no PVC valve , it welded over on my intake , and the oil from the blow-by goes to a catch can

Guest MaXbOOst

Hmm , mines got 80k on the clock .......

the motor the car came from , didnt smoke when i seen it run , so im thinking its the oil maybe.......

so how bad was the smoke EZ-E ?? mine smokes like crazy....

Guest bastaad525

Is it smoking all the time?

I thought if the turbo seal was bad would tend to smoke a lot on boost, but not a lot otherwise.

Mine used to smoke a lot, but would NOT smoke on boost, turned out my rings were bad, even though compression check showed nothing out of the ordinary.

Guest bastaad525

Maxboost... checked spark plugs? any oil on them? If so, then check the intake pipe between the turbo and the T/B... also look into the turbo outlet when you get that pipe off. If there's excessive oil in the compressor outlet, and/or excessive oil film on your J-pipe/IC piping, then the turbo seal is the likely culprit.

If you have oily plugs, but NO sign of oil in the compressor outlet or intake piping, then you may have bad rings or bad valve seals. Unfortunately, a compression test may NOT reveal the problem, as I said, I comp tested mine and got good even compression on all cylinders, but after methodically checking every other possibilty, came to the conclusion it had to be the rings... replaced them and no more smoke. A leak down test might be a better indicator.

If you have no oily plugs, no oily intake pipe, then your turbo may be leaking oil on the turbine side, directly into the exhaust. I'm not sure how well you can really check for this... I'd imagine if you pulled the downpipe off, whatever oil was getting in there would probably be cooked on, but I dont really know. I would think it shouldn't be too hard one way or the other, to look directly at the turbo and/or compressor wheels and see if the oil is indeed leaking from the turbo itself... and to be able to do this w/o removing the turbo (you gotta pull all that stuff off as you go to remove it anyways, seeing as you said you had another you wanted to test).

Guest MaXbOOst

thanx , thats some darn good helpful info ! !

i need to get the Z back in garage soon.....

dads 64 1/2 mustang vert currently sits in the middle, like the stang owns the garage , lol

Guest MaXbOOst

ok , i pulled a plug today , smelled really heavy of unburnt fuel , and the plugs dont even have 10 miles on em , and the were black too......

removed the intake J pipe, didnt find any oil-residue , looked in the turbo output to intake hole , and no residue their either.

the car smokes pretty bad , can it really be that bad if its just leaking on the exhaust side? ?

Guest MaXbOOst

yea , theres alot of black smoke around the downpipe area , cuz there is a leak in the downpipe where the o2 sensor goes , and the area on the block next to it , is all black.... i will pull it this week....

Guest bastaad525

whoa whoa whoa... you know... maybe I missed a point here. Or we are chasing down the wrong path. The way you started the thread, sounded like you were implying you were burning oil (bluish grey smoke).

What COLOR is the smoke you're getting?? You say the fresh plugs smell of fuel, and are all black already after 10 miles.

Sounds like super rich running, therefore you should be getting a black sooty smoke.

So the plugs may have given you your biggest clue right off the bat. If you're smoking black, then don't even bother pulling your downpipe... you wont find anything there (other than a lot of soot!). Rather, you'll have to turn your attention to the EFI system and figure out why the car is running so rich.

Guest MaXbOOst

i think i could take a Video of the car when its running , and post it , sometimes i cant tell , it does smell heavy of unburnt fuel though , the exhaust that is , i disconnected the o2 sensor and the car still does the same stuff......

sometimes i think the smoke is white , sometimes i think its blueish / grayish ..... hard to tell....

but no black sooty smoke.....

and my exhaust is straight 3" pipe all the way back , no muffler

once my damn father finishes his work on his 64 stang , i can put my Z in there and get to buisness..... *sigh* we need a 3 car garage....

Everyone seems to be having the flooding problem lately, i just got over it now. I can't remember who had the answer to test the Head Temp. Sensor by puting in a resistor, neone can chime in if they no nethin else about this. The only ways that i can think of flooding is Head Temp. Sensor, faulty ECU, AFM problems, and....thats all i can think of. Get the resistor with the closest ........found it

i would test it before i went out and bought a new thermistor. ( well' date=' i would now that i have a spare one...) go to your local radio shack and pick up a resistor that is *close* to what the thermistor is supposed to be at the current temp. plug it into the harness (it should fit with a little push) if the engine runs, vola! if not 25 cents saved you some money.

-gabe[/quote']