T-5 gear ratio

Guest Fast Frog

WC T-5 Camaro:

1st 2.95

2nd 1.94

3rd 1.34

4th 1.00

5th .63

A few yrs ago, a regional Chevy customer service rep told me that Chevy made a rare close ratio with 1st being 2.75 and 5th being .74. But I've never heard of anyone coming across one. Is there one out there???

Rick

[This message has been edited by Fast Frog (edited December 03, 2000).]

quote:

Originally posted by Fast Frog:

WC T-5 Camaro:

1st 2.95

2nd 1.94

3rd 1.34

4th 1.00

5th .63

A few yrs ago, a regional Chevy customer service rep told me that Chevy made a rare close ratio with 1st being 2.75 and 5th being .74. But I've never heard of anyone coming across one. Is there one out there???

Rick

[This message has been edited by Fast Frog (edited December 03, 2000).]

Thanks to you both for the help .

The main reason I wanted a site that had charts was that my T-5 seems to have some SERIOUS ratio differences.

By counting revolutions between the input shaft and the tail shaft I have come up with the following :

1st gear 3.9 to 1

2nd gear 2.2 to 1

3rd gear 1.5 to 1

4th gear 1.0 to 1

5th gear .75 to 1

This trans must be for some thing other than a camero , maybe a pickup with that steep first gear . this makes me wonder what torque it may be rated for .

Dennis

71 570

http://communities.msn.com/ZCarFamilyFun/

Guest Anonymous

V8zed,

The t-5 that was in my S.V.O. Mustang had gears very similar to what you've discribed. This tranny also came in T-bird Turbo Coupes.

1st-4.03

2nd-2.27

3rd-1.50

4th-1.00

5th-0.86

With a 4 cylinder turbo the outragous first gear ratio help get it into boost & moving. A v8 does not need a low first gear. It would just spin the tires.

Also I've noticed that the higher gear ratios(smaller gears) & strength seem to go together.

I bet this tranny came out of a 4 or small 6 cylinder car or truck. The t-5 was a widely used tranny. It probably wont hook up to your v8 and if it does it wont last long. Mine didn't hold up to the 4 banger when the power was increased.

a little more than my .02 but I hope I was helpful.

Glenn

Bino, I think Glenn is right. 4 and 6cyl cars had the lower gears. Check the input shaft too - it might not be what you want for a V8. It can be copnverted I'll bet but you might be better off finding another. If you want to juggle ratios Bob Hanlon is th eguy I'd goto - he did my Tremec and was not only a really nice guy but he dissassembled that trans so fast it was scary! Diagnosed it right before my eyes. He sells all the stuff you'd need to make changes and the lowr gears DO indeed change the torque rating. The lower gears allow for more leverage on the interanal parts - hard to explain. This is the reaosn why some T56 are rated differently too, well part of the reason anyway.