HybridZ

White smoke, running rough as guts and White crap in engine.

george.bryant

Ok jsut got my hr30 going finally.

Now....its blowing white smoke and its rough as guts, i think its only running on 5 clys....ok for the weird part.....I opened the oil cap when the engine was running to see if it smelt off or anything. It smells like melting plastic, and theres a white substance in there instead of oil....

Which has got me stumped and extremely worried as I put 4.5 litres of 5-50 Synthetic Penzoil in it and a new oil filter

If it's just the head gasket then you'll be o.k.

Even if you're running EFI it shouldn't take more then about 6 hours to replace it, aslong as the "while I'm at it" doesn't get you.

Pull the plugs and see if there is coolant in one of the cylinders. I would guess #6. It probably blew between the water jacket and #6 at the rear of the block, unless your boosting.

I just went through this very thing about 2 weeks ago on my step sons '83 after it overheated BAD. Maxed the digital gauge --> BAD! Head and block were fine though. Not the way I wanted to spend my Sunday afternoon, but it was running the next day.

Good luck.

Even if you're running EFI it shouldn't take more then about 6 hours to replace it' date=' aslong as the "while I'm at it" doesn't get you.

Pull the plugs and see if there is coolant in one of the cylinders. I would guess #6. It probably blew between the water jacket and #6 at the rear of the block, unless your boosting.

I just went through this very thing about 2 weeks ago on my step sons '83 after it overheated BAD. Maxed the digital gauge --> BAD! Head and block were fine though. Not the way I wanted to spend my Sunday afternoon, but it was running the next day.

Good luck.[/quote']

Absolutely...at a minimum, pull the head and have a look. Check the deck surface of the head, and if it is ok, and the headgasket is the problem, replace the gasket, and bolt everything back together. At best it will be ~60 bucks and an afternoon's work and you will be back on the road, at worst, the engine will be a rightoff and you will have your excuse to do a swap.....

(don't forget to change the oil ASAP.....coolant and bearing don't play well together)

Even if you're running EFI it shouldn't take more then about 6 hours to replace it' date=' aslong as the "while I'm at it" doesn't get you.

Good luck.[/quote']

Confrimed. Plug 6 has fuel or coolant or something on it

ewwww, i had a simalar problem, i couldn't take off my fuel rail to install new injectors-so i brought it to a mechanic, no big deal, cuz i soon figured out that i needed new fuel injector connectors.....well, long story short, it cost me 1,400 to get the car running, and it idled like shit, and it didn't have an FPR, it was ghetto rigged with a clamp. that 1400 didn't include the price of the injectors either!!!!!!

Don't trust a mechanic to no howto work on an old car, these guys thought they knew wht they were doing to it....but they didnt-its funny, cuz the only guy that knew much about the car was the young guy-mayb 20-23 yrs old.....lol, us kids no wht were talkin about at times

Don't bother taking all the manifolds off! Worry about that after you check the flatness of the head with a straight edge once you get it off. If it's straight then your o.k.

Pull the distributor and wires. Unhook the electrical connections from the injectors, sensors and grounds from the intake manifold, then disconnect the exhaust manifold from the pipe and don't forget to pull the hose off the bottom of the intake that goes to the block. Disconnect the throttle. Unbolt power steering pump(if you have it), disconnect fuel lines and vacuum lines, marking them as you go. Then pull the valve cover and wedge your chain. Pull the cam gear and unbolt the head in the proper sequence. Don't forget the 2 bolts at the front of the head! Lift it straight up and set it on the fender with a blanket under it. One person can do it, but it's alot easier with a helper when it comes time to pull it/put it back on.