HybridZ

electrical problems

ok i am about to pull my hair out with this thing. I have got a 76 280z and i am tring to put a 78 wiring harness and ecu in to it. everything is in a hooked up but i am not getting any of the injectors to fire. i can put 12 v. to the feed wire for the injectors but the grounds are still not pulsing. everything on the spark side is working fine. i am getting a good healthy spark to each plug. has anyone done this and run into this problem, if please fill me in on what to do to get the damn thing running.

took the car to a shop and told to just make it run. they fixed alot of my problems but not all of them. The engine starts to cut out as the car warms up. anything over 1/4 throttle going down the road and it cuts out but if you stay into the throlttle the engine will cut back in for a second the cut back off. sitting at a stop light or with the clutch pushed in going down the road the car will rev almost perfect. i have replaced the tps, the air flow meter, the fuel pump, the alternator, the coil, and the connectors for the injectors, the coolant temp sensor, and the thermotime switch. but i have not chaged the coolant themp or thermotime sensors themselfs(they are the only thing i dont have 3 or 4 of) could it be in on of these sensorsand if not there then where.

• 1 month later...

ok finally got it running. it ended up being the dropping resister for the injectors. but now its is not running right. the damn thing has no power and back-fires alot. sometimes it will run fine for a split sec while im driving it but then you can feel it go into the misfiring.i got around to putting on my msd 6aL, blaster coil, and accel superstock wires, so i know that it is getting good spark. i put a noid light on all of the injectors and reved up the motor and they all keep a good light going. i think it is either the pick-up in my dissy or my maf. either that or Im overlooking something please help!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ok had it running fine the other day but now it has a dead miss in it so I went through all the connections on the motor and tune-up greased them. that didn’t help at all the miss is still there. I threw the noid light back on to every injector plug and got a good light on all of them. then I threw a timing light on every plug wire and it flashed on every one except sometimes it will through a double flash almost like the spark inside the cap is splitting two ways from the rotor button to the cap. so I know I am getting decent spark and good fuel(unless my injectors have trash in them) but other than that could it be timing some how. does the msd advance the timing for you or does it still use the advance components inside the stock dizzy(vacuum and centrifugal). also is the tach out-put on the msd compatible with the stock tach input for a 76 ecu or do I need one of the msd tach/fuel adapters.

One of your injectors might be sticking, Put a timing light on each plug wire it will flash consistantly if the plug is firing, otherwise it'll be off or fire inconsistently. If you find a missing cylinder, that one will most probably have the stuck injector. The plug sometimes won't fire if the fuel mixture is too rich or too lean.

MSD uses all kinds of systems, if you have a vac advance ont he side of your distributor, it's using that to advance, and if you take off the cap and look you will either see weights or not. If no weights exist, it is adjusting advance according to RPM. The manufacturer of the engine will have a spec for total advance at XXXX RPM.

The timing could be off wildly at idle before it will statr to miss, you could be off as much as 20degrees and have little effect on firing, but it will idle rougher if it's off by more then 4-6 degrees. Put the timing light on the crank and see if it's in spec. It's missing on idle, so only worry about idle for now.