HybridZ

Help Please, Oil light?

Guest myth66

Hi, I'm back. I got another ZX with a turbo this time. I've been driving her for a few days now and a problem has just come up. The oil light is coming on but there is plenty of oil in the case. Also I can hear the turbo spooling but the boost gauge never goes over 0 or usually sits at -7 I'm afraid I might have a leak somewhere. I appreciate any input on this subject.

Thanks

LOL

Actually though Tim 240z couldnt be more right, the best and only way to truely know what kind of oil pressure you actually have is to use a mechanical gauge. With that there is no room for failure.

Be forewarned, it might scare you a bit to see what your pressure is at idle. Its not as good as I know I would like it to be.

Your right. I just noticed today that the idiot light only goes on at idle. but the car seems to be running fine. I guess I'll just keep checking the oil frequently and hope this doesn't come back to haunt me

I've had experiences with many Nissans that have very flaky oil pressure sending unit/gauges. I think it is very likely that your engine is fine but it would be nice to know for sure. It is a expense but I agree that getting a good mechanical oil pressure gauge is a excellent idea. I also think those factory boost gauges are useless too.. They have a very stupid design, the way it works is a vacuum line is connected to a "boost sensor" to convert the vacuum reading to a electrical signal to run to a electrical gauge.. Why not just have a vacuum line run directly to a mechanical gauge??

The light is telling you the oil PRESSURE is getting low, not the oil level. Make sure your using the correct weight oil. I've seen this happen when too light an oil is used, like 5-30 instead of 10-30, the oil thins out at temperature and the pressure goes low at idle. Check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge, low pressure is nothing to mess around with.

I've also seen this happen when there's crud built up at the sending unit, so you might want to check that also.

- Joe