HybridZ

JWT ECU for 280ZXT or reman?Where's Wolf?

Guest jjohart

Guest jjohart

Hi...my car's been busted since ZXmas, when a hellish knock under low boost (which was previously cleared by electronic cleaner spray applied to the ECU plugs) went haywire with the application of "conductivity carbon grease" (which I mistakenly thought was die electric grease, the stuff I was warned to use on this list to keep from having to make reapplications).

At this point, the local shop has cleaned the pins/terminals, and yet the car runs like it is lean as hell when the gas is pressed...it will start, idle a bit, or rev momentarily but then duck down as if misfiring/lean condition.

The garage was happy to try to spec other things without sucess, yet it is probably time for me to assert it's my fault. SO, anyone know what's doing with Jim Wolf, why they're closed (I assume holiday), when they re-open, and why do they take 6 weeks to send a reprogrammed ECU. Since my car has an intercooler and boost control, as well as open filter intake and 3" exhaust, and a remanufactured one is nearly as much as Wolf, isn't it in my best interests to wait for the Wolf (Autoecus.com costs 575, dealer is 803USD).

Is the ECU's having had that conductivity stuff on it the cause for poor driveability?

thanks

John-83 280ZXT 5 spd

Jim Wolf's programmer, Clark Steppler is always at least four to six months backlogged. I once sent them my ECU for a 72lb injector and Z32 MAF program and I didn't get it back for nearly 5 months. It just so happened that I sent it in November so I received right back in time for the race season in March. Although JWTs philosophy of plug and play is a huge bonus, their turn around time absolutely sucks. My previous JWT ECU program allowed me to run a 12.29, so their knowlegde is second to none. Their customer service overall is pretty good, but once they are able to reduce the TO time of the ECU's, I'd rate them much higher.

Many customers always bash JWT saying that the root of their problems is the ECU. Many times (from what I've seen and experienced) is that the car wasn't properly tuned to begin with. There was always a problem present BEFORE the ECU installation. Compound that with a new turbo, injectors, MAF, etc. and the problem is lost in translation and JWT tends to be blamed for something that already existed.