HybridZ

What 17" rim backspace are you running??

Guest V8Z

I know 17x8 is one of the most popular rim sizes that is being run now days and I'm thinking of running them myself. But if you read the search posts no one is given there backspace measurements. I am running 300zx hubs with toyo calipers, and coilovers up front and redrilled stub axels in the rear with coilovers.The tire I want to run is a 235-45-17. This has got to be the most popular set up out there so surely someone out there running this set up is also running a 17x8 rim and can tell me what there backspace is. OH! and I do not have flares. The wheels that I want are 17x8 and offer a backspace of 3.00, 3.50, 4.00, 4.50 standard. Anything other than that is consider a speical order. I have a set of stock 17x8 mustang wheels and tire that I put on the front just to see what they look like and they stick out about 3/4" to much. I turned the rims face down and put a striaght edge across the lip of the rim and measured from the hub contact and it is 5.75". I have heard from a few peaple that a 5" backspace is what I need to use, but 5" backspace will be a non refundable speical order wheel and I just want to be extra careful before ordering. Thanks

After trashing.........and painfully fixing the rear body fenders......

I am running 17 X 7 wheels all around. 4 1/2 back spacing. 4 1/2- 4 lug bolt pattern. Centerline, Billet Saber model #94 Tire size: 225/45Z/R17

This is the biggest tire I can run with out hitting the body or suspension before normal bottoming out occurs. When compressed at the rear I have about .43 inches of clearance to inside fender lip typical. I see it as this set up still leaves some inside room for alternative suspension settings in the future. Currently all stock suspension geometry with adjustable compression coilover springs. Stock rear hubs and brakes, Stock front hubs and rotors with Toyota 4X4 calipers. I hope this information helps you out.

I'm running 17x8 centerlines in the rear, with 5 inch backspace. Although I'm using stock wheel bolt pattern and stock hubs. You may want to e-mail Ross at moderm motorsports to get some info. Ross is very knowledgable and helpful. I've also read the post's and most people who use the 300zx front hubs are using 5.75 in backspacing, That is odd that the wheels you have stick out that much in the front? I'm 99.9% sure that 5 inch backspace should work for the rear. I hope that helps.

When I test fitted the mustang wheels the car was on jackstands, Maybe I should test fit them and let the car all the way down. As for the front being 5.75 backspace, I guess that because the 300zx hubs are suppost to make the wheels stick out 3/4 in" more that the rear.

That would make a difference.Put some weight on the suspension. I'll bet that should do it. By the way I've put the 17x8's in the front and it clear's the fender, but the inner portion of the tire will rubber the frame rails when I turn the steering wheel. One more thing, the 17x8's will only fit if you have converted the struts to coilover's.