HybridZ

Once again - Shortnose LSD in longnose case?

Guest Zeddophile

Guest Zeddophile

I have an opportunity to buy an R32 GTR skyline 2-way mechanical LSD for $500 AUD, but I'm wondering how to go about fitting the shortnose (I assume) LSD to my 260Z. On my forum search, some people seem to think that a shortnose centre CAN be bolted into a longnose carrier, others seem to think it doesn't work at all, and some say theres too much fabrication.

SO:

a) Can the shortnose be put in a longnose case, with obviously some description of an adapter to reach out the front of the case.

B) Failing that, is it then feasible to obtain a shortnose r200 casing, and sling that under my 260, with obviously a CV conversion, and custom driveshaft (Possible RB25DET conversion on the way, so the custom driveshaft would be a given anyway...)

c) Your suggestion here - Keep in mind Australia tends to be extremely expensive on LSD's, if they can be found at all, i was hoping to utilise this skyline LSD since its 2-way, and at least $700 cheaper than what I can get other R200 LSD's....

I am capable of doing some fabrication work myself, being a mechanic and having access to the workshop facilities that entails :P

Yes Rags is right. You can put a carrier out of a short nose housing into a long nose housing. The only problems are the ring gear bolt sizes and the side stubs that go in for the axles. My friend and I put a mechanical LSD into his 240SX short nose housing and his only problem was finding the CV's with the correct side stubs to work with that LSD.

Long versus short has been covered a lot and I would search under "viscus lsd". The Viscus that comes in the Z32 and 240SX is the same size as the long nose R200's.

Don