HybridZ

R200 from 87 Turbo...LSD...not just acid anymore!

Guest cjhudson

Guest cjhudson

Right-O, down to business again.

Let me start by saying that I have spent several long hours reading the posts here until my eyesight started to fail and a terrible migraine set in.

In the interest of my own health and the sanity of the nameless, faceless others on this BB, I'll ask a question.

My differential is a 3.545:1 (I credit zxgts-4 for setting me straight on that 0.005 at the end of the 3.54 I was used to) geared R200 out of an 87 Turbo car. This unit was selected for it's ratio, and the "easy" swap-a-bility into an early 240. At only about 400rwhp I think this thing should be plenty strong. Let's not start a debate on that, but instead ponder this:

What choices does one with this diff. have for Limited Slip Devices?

Please don't lecture me on the meaning of the "D"!

Thank-You

You know about the 3.7 clutch lsd from the late 87-89 300zx turbo?

The LSD part of this differential will bolt onto your ring gear of the "3.545" (its actualy 3.54545454545.... 'cus of the 39:11 but wtvr)

that is probably the cheapest option for lsd in that gearing differential, short of a phantomgrip which is not going to last very long or work as well anyways.

You can also get a quiafe, or anyother aftermarket lsd set ups out there. Just search google for r200 lsd's and something should come up

Guest cjhudson

ok then...87t's had 3.7 lsd...right on. this one had a 3.54545454545454:1 open (<---that's the easy way to say non-lsd) diff, and it was in an 87 turbo car (mfg date 02/87). maybe somebody swapped it in in favor of the limited slip because they couldn't handle being sideways...regardless, is the LSD unit from one of these 3.7 cars the way to go? any others that will fit (besides aftermarket)? $750 from the Z-Store is steep, and stock clutch type units when shimmed are pretty damn good setups for aggressive street performance. one more question...how do i verify that i have the 12mm unit? what is that refering to? thanks!

I could be wrong but I'm 99% sure that all 87 turbo+ were 3.7s. However lots of people do turbo swaps/conversions/etc. So you'd honestly have to check the vin # to make sure the car WAS turbo from the factory. Even so, as you said... could've swapped it out for whatever reason (stupid, but none the less). Everything I've read on the r200 has been good, rarely find a car under 400hp having any problems. Many above use it as well.. so it is suited pretty well for almost anything Z wise. Please junkyard it.. don't buy it new unless you really just want to waste money =P Also check classifieds on here, zcar, and z31.com to find one.

-jon

The 3.7 LSD was installed in all turbo Z31 (GL, GLL) after 8/87 production date. Before 4/87, no Z31 had an LSD factory installed in North America. Between 4/87 and 8/87, some auto turbo Z31 had 3.7 LSD, some didn't. Some manual tranny cars during that period have 3.7 LSD, 3.7 open or 3.54 open, depending on the P/N of the tranny installed. All Z31 Shiro (SS) had 3.7 Viscous LSD starting production in 1/88, you can use these diffs also, but you have to convert over to CV and they have specific CV shafts, not interchangable with the regular Z31 CV shafts. If you get one of the Viscous diffs, MAKE SURE to get the CV shafts, as they are worth more than the diff and the diff is useless without them. If you are JY shopping, look for the finned rear end cover and verify LSD by turning one rear wheel, if it is LSD, the other wheel will turn in the same direction. If open, the other wheel will rotate in the opposite direction. You have to hold the pinion (driveshaft) to do this test.

As for other options for LSD - Quaife (mechanical LSD, best but $$$$), Torsen/Gleason (mechanical, rare, unobtainable), 240SX(S13,S14 some viscous, some clutch type, some problems with output shaft configuration - They are not bolt-in, it is a short-nose R200 diff.), Z32 300z Non-turbo R200V - same story as the 240SX units, but it also has 13mm ring gear bolts, so more work is required.

All things considered, Clutch LSD is probably the most economical way to go, if you can find a JY one, all the better.

Hope this clarifies things a bit

Doug