HybridZ

Just another crazy hybrid idea

Guest thevodka

This swap is an interesting idea, but probably better suited to a Porsche 914 or something already accepting a MR setup; there's just not much room between the driver and rear axles in a Z.

As far as FR vs. MR, we all know mid-engine (or front-mid-engine) is optimal for a low polar moment of inertia, and from what I've always heard, a slight rearward weight bias is better for performance driving: somewhere between 48/52 and 44/56. More weight over the rear tires (assuming this is a rear-wheel-drive car) means slightly better grip off the line. Also, braking causes weight to shift forward, so if you start with a slightly rearward bias, the (transient?) weight distribution under braking will be more evenly spread across all four tires, improving braking. Another thing is since there is less weight over the front tires, you get slightly better turn-in. And upon exiting a turn (just after the apex) there is more weight=traction on the driven (rear) tires, allowing for better exit speeds. I read somewhere that all Ferraris are designed with a rearward weight bias (even the front engined Ferraris) for these reasons. Of course, the major downside to a rearward weight bias is lift-throttle oversteer. If you let off the gas in a turn, WATCH OUT! You might hit the wall backwards! Porsche 911's (rear-engined, something like 40/60 weight distribution, too much in the rear) are very notorious for these tail-forward spinouts. So only a SLIGHT rearward bias is good, I guess...

whoops, old thread...sorry

heh, not polished yet. that's just cleaned up. my friend's little brother practices polishing.... and offerred to do my intake components for pretty much next to nothing. I offerred to pay the kid, but he says "nah, just pay me for materials"

he does really good polishing work, I mean, downright crazy like a pro. And he's only 14. Then again, he can also rebuild 2 stroke motors, drive a forklift like a pro (he was operating the forklift when we lowered my engine into the car 6 feet in the air) and he has a '68 camaro that he's going to paint and rebuild

• 1 month later...
Guest FinalRights

Hmm I was throwing around the idea of using a pulsar GTI-R front clip,and retaining the AWD set-up in my Z31. The SR20det could be countered by the weight of the front diff,battery,radiator,intercooler and fuel cell. It won't completly counter the weight,but it should counter it a good bit. Keeping the stock weight hood would also help,as well as going with a light weight rear hatch cover. Also,using proper downforce would help keep the tires on the ground,and have the *** stay in its place. I was thinking of using dual purpose side scoops where the rear quater windows usually are. Air can be feed to the engine as well as help keep downforce on the car. Also,I was thinking of running something similar to that of a Ferrari F50's hood/radiator combo. This would again serve dual purpose,not only (again) forcing air through the radiator/intercooler,but also helping with downforce.