HybridZ

What 14" rims will fit 4x4 s12w setup?

O.k. so I posted earlier if the 4x4 vented brake setup would fit with stock 14 " wheels. So far Aux. didn't think so and Ross at modernmotorsport didn't think they would. I have found through searching that some 14" rims will accept them and some require spacers.

My questions are, if anyone knows is:

What 14" rims are you using and or what will work?

Also, zparts.com has used wheels for sale and their shop is only 20 minutes from me. So does anyone know if any of the rims he has for sale will fit?

Or, question 3: What are the characteristics (measurements etc) of a 14" wheel that will fit? I would love to put the new brakes on soon, but don't want or have the $$ for new rims and tires. I might be able to put together a few hundred for used 14" wheels and use my existing tires. What do you all think?

Thanks again,

Kyle

my 76 Z has a full size spare.. my 77 didnt.

i heard the rewind 14in wheels will work with those brakes but im not 100% sure, if i dont go with the circle track 15in wheels im going with the rewinds in 14's..

and i plan on doing this brake swap maybe, im just not sure on the weight gains :(

mike

240s came with full size spares...hence, the large 'tub' for the spare tire. If you go with spacers, I have a perfect set that came from Dando's Racing that I can no longer use. I was going to eBay them; but, we should be able to work something out. I'm local.

Thanks all for the replies. I am going to find out today. fl327 is helping me out in Union City. We are going to do the suspension and change out the rear drum cylinders. We will test fit everything and see if spacers are needed and in what size. Hopefully that is. We might wait for another day depending on what we get done and how fast. If I find out I will let everyone know. 240Z2NV, thanks for the offer. I will let you know if I am of need of them. Fingers crossed all will work out just fine.

The stock 280zx wheels (six spoke) fit just fine with the calipers..(my friend has this setup.)

The slotted wheels do not fit.

As far as other wheels go, it depends on the style of the backside of the rim that is the problem... I had Epsilon 16x7's and they did not clear..I just took a grinder, and ground down the cooling fins on my calipers where they rubbed. It only took a few thou. to get the clearance I needed.

• 10 months later...

Stock 14x5" 1972 steel wheels WILL NOT FIT without at least .875" spacers. I am using .78" (20mm) spacers and they still didn't clear so I added another .25" and it now clears by about 1/8". Yes the car is now borderline dangerous but at least the 2" studs are poking through this whole mess and holding everything together. When I get new rims I will ditch these spacers and longer studs. All this because I needed new brakes, sometimes it's better just to replace with OEM until you are really ready. Sheesh.

The interference was between the inner wall of the rim and outer husk of the brake caliper, if they were 15" I bet they would have cleared with no difficulty, and it was only hitting by like 1/8" but I didn't want to shave 1/8" off the claipers so in order to clear that hump in the inside of the rim it has to be spaced out. Then the wheels barely fit inside the fender lip, but it looks ok.