HybridZ

leaks, rust and more leaks....

Guest Cronic

Guest Cronic

280zx turbo 1983:

I have several leaks in the car, and I need to know what I have to replace to fix them, and where to get the parts...

The rear hatch is leaking at the bottom corners, I'm assuming this is because the hatch seal is probably old, dry rotted, and decaying. I need to know where to get another one of these...

The windshield is also leaking, right above the rearview mirror... I guess I need a new seal there too, but I might as well replace the windshield as it's original, and has an ungodly amount of scratches along there. Im hoping a local windshield company can get this seal with the new windshield.

When driving in the rain, and my window partially down (I dont have AC or heat yet) the water gets routed right behind the side mirrors, and ends up smacking me in the face... Im hoping this isn't a design flaw, and just the side moldings are messed up. Can anyone confirm this? Is it just a flaw in the design, or do I need to replace the pillar moldings?

Thanks everyone.

Guest Cronic

I have many rust spots I will eventually repair, either by replacing the body panel or welding in new sheet metal and smoothing it down, repainting.

Im curious on where I can get new floor pans, as there are several holes in my floorboard, and one behind the seat on the driver side.

Im also curious on what I can coat the underbody with, if anything, to prevent future rust.

I also need to replace the floor rails as they are nearly completly destroyed.

And finally, I need to replace... well every bushing in the car. Mainly, the isolator bushings in the subframe. They're the bushings that go inbetween the frames that connect just under and behind the driv/pass seats. I got a quote from the dealer, and they are $50 each. I was hoping there would be an energy suspension upgrade for this part. I also need all the other bushings in the car, but have no idea what they're called. I know I need all the swaybar bushings, the tie rod/stearing rack bushings, etc. Anyone know? The master bushing kit from Energy suspension isn't clear on what all it comes with, and I don't want to spend 150 bucks for 3 bushings... ya know?

Thanks again

Hate to say search because the search function doesn't seem to be working well lately, but all of this has been discussed in some detail. You will want all the info you will pick up reading about the rust.

The bushings in particular you can save big $$ on. I can't remember the site but I am sure you will come across it as you read old posts.

Well I'm a cheep a$$ and didn't wana spend $200 on bushings either.. so I built my own. :) Boat trailer rollers work really well, as do hockey pucks. Turn them down, drill them out bigger, cut in pieces, whatever you need. I just finished puting the rear suspension back in my 280z.. did the inner bushings on the suspension (outer were ok) the bump stops in the struts, and all the mustach bar rubbers. $25 and an hour of my time to make them. Mind you I work in a machine shop and have access to equipment.. if you don't this may be difficult for you..

Guest Cronic

I wish I had access to a machine shop like that. I still am unable to find any good bushings for my car, I can't even find the entire kit anymore. :( All the kits im finding are for the older 78ish Z's and not my 83 zx. This is very dis heartening.