HybridZ

Z31 Reprogramming - question for Bernard

Sean73

right click on the file, select rename, remove .zip extension, hit enter. Use file.

z32 and z31 ecu's have the same structure as far as the mapping goes. The same theory that applies to the z32 ecu works with the z31 ecu. The relevant maps are in the .adr and .ini files.

• 2 months later...

Just thought I'd share my recent success with altering the stock 88 VG30T timing maps.

Comparing the VG30 vs. the VG30T maps, one can immediately see the VG30 is much more aggressive in timing on the bottom end. I have no idea why. I don't see why the VG30T can't have a comparable timing curve off boost.

I analyzed the VG30T maps, and noted each RPM/TP data point where the ECU begins to pull timing (for boost, of course). Then, I considered everything to the left of these points, fair game for timing adjustments.

With both maps in Excel, I averaged the NA and Turbo timing values, and copied the results, into the off-boost section of the Turbo map. I could have simply copied the NA values, which would have resulted in more aggressive timing, but I wanted to start out conservative.

What I end up with is a NA-turbo averaged timing curve off-boost, and a stock Turbo timing curve on-boost.

The results are outstanding. Much better off-boost acceleration, and faster spool-up.

I don't think I have compromised safety, but I have to wonder why Nissan made the VG30T such a slug for off-boost timing advance.

After further testing I'll post the timing map, if anyone is interested.

Another thing I did is reduce the cold-start enrichment values across the board by 8%, to account for the displacement difference of the VG30T vs L28T. I could have accomplished this with the K value, but this would have affected the entire fuel map. This modification seemed to resolve a "smokey" startup problem I've had in the mornings. Although, 8% might actually be a little to lean for the L28.

Good job. Most of my vacuum timing is 50deg's. Could you list the addresses of the tables you edited for cold start.

Nissan's tuning is setup for the owner/driver going uphill, in 5th gear, in 120deg F weather, towing, for 10 miles, wot. Ok maybe that's an exageration. There's a lot to be had in the timing tables.