HybridZ

Buying spacers...need to choose width

Guest Loose_Screws

Loose Screws, I order to know how thick the wheel spacers need to be, you must first know the specifications of the wheels you intend to use, ie., rim width and offset or rim width and back set. According to the Ebay listing, these spacers are 2" wide (50.8mm). So, as an example.....if you use these spacers with a wheel with 50mm offset, you would have 0 offset. If the wheel had less than 50mm offset, you would reduce the backset, placing the wheel further out (increasing the track). Do a search on this site! There is bound to be info that will help explain it further. Hope this helps you a little!

Guest Loose_Screws
Loose Screws, I order to know how thick the wheel spacers need to be, you must first know the specifications of the wheels you intend to use, ie., rim width and offset or rim width and back set. According to the Ebay listing, these spacers are 2" wide (50.8mm). So, as an example.....if you use these spacers with a wheel with 50mm offset, you would have 0 offset. If the wheel had less than 50mm offset, you would reduce the backset, placing the wheel further out (increasing the track). Do a search on this site! There is bound to be info that will help explain it further. Hope this helps you a little!

Thanks for the info! The plan is to run standard Honda wheels and from what I have found, Honda wheels are typically +32mm to +40mm offset, so I am ordering +40mm offset adapters. Even if the spacing is a little bit wider than stock is OK as I will be running autocross and don't mind the extra width.

Again, thanks for the info!

If anyone else is interested in a set of these, email the guy at lennystahl@motorsport-tech.com.

According to this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7944652033&category=42614&sspagename=WDVW

The width should be 32 mm for Honda wheels.

I got my adapters from Modern Motorsports (the owner Ross is a member of Hybridz) and they work perfect with Honda (40mm) offset 17x7 wheels with 225/45-17's. I think Ross doesn't like to have his adapter width published, so If you want the width of his adapters you'll have to try and get it directly from him.

Here's a picture before I switched to disc brakes (it looks much better with discs)

wheels.jpg

hey, those are nice wheels. Question though. 40 mm offset is almost 2". So with a 40 mm spacer do you need to replace the bolts? I am just learning about wheels as I am now looking into buying (really saving) for some. Popular wheels I have found on ebay have like a 45mm offset and have the correct lug pattern. So, with a spacer is that all that is needed to get it to be a zero offset? And if so then are the bolts long enough. I continue to pour over the old posts looking for answeres but I thought I would ask too.

Thanks as always

hey' date=' those are nice wheels. Question though. 40 mm offset is almost 2". So with a 40 mm spacer do you need to replace the bolts? I am just learning about wheels as I am now looking into buying (really saving) for some. Popular wheels I have found on ebay have like a 45mm offset and have the correct lug pattern. So, with a spacer is that all that is needed to get it to be a zero offset? And if so then are the bolts long enough. I continue to pour over the old posts looking for answeres but I thought I would ask too.

Thanks as always[/quote']

Be aware that wheel offset is only in reference to the center line of a wheel. What I'm trying to say is, you could have two different width wheels, each having 0 offset, but their back spacing will be different.(back spacing is measured from the inside edge of a wheel to the mounting flange) Example: A stock 240Z wheel has 0 offset and is I believe 5" wide. If you put on a 8" wide wheel with 0 offset...somethings going to rub. If you visit some of the tire and or wheel manufacture websites, they explain this whole issue in great detail along with pictures.

ok thanks. I have checked out tire rack and looked at there tech info. I understand what offset is now. They usually don't tell you what the back spacing is on wheels. But I suppose that is easy enough math. Is it best though to have the wheels set up with a zero offset for performance reasons? Or to have them look good and fit? A 40+mm offset is 1.57" toward the outside (streetside) of the wheel. This would set the wheel in closer to the strut by 1.57" correct? So a spacer is going to be needed to keep it from rubbing the strut etc? Unfortunately no one has info on rims in there data base. Etc us I guess. I have been reading all the posts on wheels but I only get tid bits here and there. I know for sure I am keeping the 4x4.5 lug spacing (maybe buy the honda adapters if the right rim comes along) but I don't want to go thru the trouble with converting to 5 lug. 15,16,or 17" wheels 7 inches wide. I know there are plenty of wheels out there, that I like too. Most though are 40mm positive offset though. So what are my options I guess?

From all that I've read and seen, when using wheel wider than 7" you are likely to encounter spacing issues. Again, take some measurements (inside of wheel to strut as well as outside of wheel to insde of fender) on your exsisting wheels to determine how much latitude you will have for wider wheels. Of course you must also know the width and offset of your exsisting wheels. You should be able to calculate for the new wheels with this info. Some more examples: A 6" wide wheel with 40mm negative offset has 4.57" back spacing. A 7" wide wheel with 40mm negative offset has 5.07" back spacing. An 8" wide wheel with 40mm negative offset has 5.57" back spacing.

Also, as you probably already know, there are adaptors made that fit the Z car bolt pattern and use the Honda bolt pattern for mounting the wheel to the adaptor.