HybridZ

280zxt HKS Intercooler

I was wondering about the efficiency of the HLS FMIC kit fot the 280zxt. My dad just installed one on his '83 and it is rather small compaired to the fabed up kits i see on here. Is anyone running this set up, if si what kind of boost are they able to run(i know that also depends on other factors). Any input would be great.

Kyle

I ran HKS (thish I think the IC was Trust unit) IC on my Zcar but it was the bigger one. I've seen good result with it. I believe Cody still runs his.

Your right I still have my kit on.

Granted it's routed a little different than what HKS wanted. On the street I run 15 to 16 psi and with race gas I've run over 20 on a cool night. I think it's pretty good design but, I have no #'s to back that up. One thing I did to increase it's effiency was in fabricate a shroud to force incoming air to go into the intercooler.

Guest JAMIE T

You can get an IC off ebay for $250 or less that is very nice. Plus it fits the Z well. The pipe is alittle harder. If you have access to a welder and are able to cut the tubing, then it isn't so hard. Some guys here I think have used bends and silicone connectors to make the IC pipes without welding. Probably works fine but will cost alittle more since the T-bolt clamps and silicone connectors are pretty expensive. Either way, you will still need a few silicone connectors and T-bolt clamps to connect the IC to the pipes and turbo and throttle body. From what I understand, 2-1/2" pipe is big enough for most big boosting L6's. A good core size will be 24x12x3.

Guest magnadyne
How hard is it to fab a IC kit? and what re some good cores to use?

It really isn't that hard to fab up an intercooler. As long as you can TIG weld. ;)

To find a good company, I always look at what the pro's use. (like ARC of Japan) If you want to stay in this country I am a big fan of Spearco. They give up their efficiency specs on their intercoolers. That helps a ton when making calculations on a turbo system.

Guest MaXbOOst

the $1800 kit MSA sells , is mos def not worth the money , just buy a spearco one of ebay , and take the car to a local metal shop or speed shop , and they will do the piping from $125 - $225 usally

One of the best ways to do your pipes if you don't have a welder (mig welder works great for this) is to cut the pipes where you need to. Make sure the ends match up closely and then take them to a welder or muffler shop and have them welded up. One suggestion would be to have them tack them together first then take them back home for the final fit. If all is good then have then completely welded together. Think of hose connections as less than a great way to connect pipes. The less connections the better. I first did my pipes in the above mentioned process and it worked great. Now I have small mig welder and can make changes or whatever when or if needed.

Also I have found Napa to have the T-bolt clamps at the best price. Go ahead and get the good clamps. It's worth the money and will help you avoid lots of trouble when your connections fail. :-D