HybridZ

How Can I Swap An Auto Trans. To Manual Transmission?

Guest chrisDCruz

Guest chrisDCruz

i have a 240z automatic, however i dont really like driving automatic, unless anyone can give me some POSSITVE things about owning an automatic, i want to change it to manual. How can i do it and what differents types of parts and equipments do i need for this job. Is it a lot of work? I understand this is a pretty tough question to answer but if anyone can help me out somehow, it would do me a lot of good. How is the price range? :-D

what you'll need:

clutch pedal

clutch pedal box

clutch master cylinder

clutch master slave cylinder

clutch MC to SC lines

manual 4 or 5 speed transmission

appropriate flywheel

appropriate clutch and friction plate.

clutch fork

price range? Used transmission is ok, clutch pedal and box mechanism, maybe used flywheel that can be resurfaced. Everything else should be knew if you're doing it. I'd say about 300 bucks for a nice round figure. Maybe 400, depending on parts availability. Local 4 speeds run about 50 bucks, 5 speeds about 100 or so in used condition.

Not sure what auxilary meant by clutch box? The auto's and manuals use the same upper pedal box, only the pedal itself with the hardware is needed. Shaves some time off if you get it from a parts car or something. Also, the 240 assemblies are different than the 280 in size, you must get one from a 240, maybe and early 260, but not sure. You'll also need the manual version brake pedal.

A "run of the mill" metric double inverted flare brake line, of the correct length, will work for the clutch line.

There are the little things too:

- The clutch pedal stop, ended up fabricating mine.

- The bracket on the frame rail for the clutch hose off the trans.

- the plate, spot welded in the shifter opening, which has to be removed.

errr I love having an automatic b/c I DONT SPIL HOT COFFIE IN MY LAP WHEN I SHIFT~! If your local in californai i ahve an ENTIRE Manual block with all the spare bits if you want it but it its only got 87k miles on it but it runs like champ and was well taken care of, let me know ill cut you a deal since i was just going to junk yard it.