HybridZ

NOS for spool up

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

I've installed small 50hp wet shots on Supras and 3000gt's with large single turbos. It works well, but it's something that can only be used for an occasional race because a bottle of nitrous wouldn't last long if you were spraying around town... believe me, I know. :lol:

Guest bastaad525

I was under the impression the bottles tended to last much longer this way? Since they only come on at WOT (or at least, the people I have talked to set them up this way) and they only spray for a brief second or two (I think most people set them to cut off at 3k rpm or wherever their turbo kicks in) instead of staying full on for whatever length of time you are flooring it... not to mention most people use a relatively small shot for this application (25 or 50hp) seems to me they would last a very long time even if you left it on all the time, unless you're treating every stoplight/sign as a starting grid.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

If it's jetted for 50 horsepower it'll use .4 lbs of N2O every 10 seconds. That adds up to 250 seconds of usage out of a 10lb bottle.

That sounds like a long time, but when you're paying $2/lb for nitrous and have to wait overnight for a refill...

On all the small systems I set up on turbo cars, I set them up to spray from 3k rpm to redline. If you spray for a couple seconds then have it shut off, you'll feel the power drop off when the N2O stops spraying. Not only does it add 50hp from the chemical reaction, but the subzero N2O cools off the intake charge and reduces losses due to heat, so you get more HP/psi from a boosted car.

It's not realistic to drive around town all day with your bottle open just so you have no turbo lag, but if you're into drag racing it's another story.

Guest bastaad525

personally I'm not interested in having a shot that sprays all the way to redline... that'd just be that much more fuel I'd have to supply, and really if I wanted the extra power full time from 3k to redline I'd just turn the boost up instead. I'd set up a nitrous shot only to kick in from maybe 2000-3000rpm until boost came on and then shut off. And no i wouldn't leave my bottle open all day either, I'd have a remote opening switch and only open it when I needed it... I don't really do a lot of WOT driving on the street so it wouldn't be very much.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

z_cars_rule---Yes, you can get them from a variety of manufacturers.

bastaad525---You don't have to add more fuel (through your injectors) with a wet shot of nitrous. The fogger sprays in fuel along with the nitrous. All ou have to do is make sure your fuel pump is big enough to supply your injectors AND the nitrous system.