HybridZ

Alternator Mischarge

Guest tony78_280z

Guest tony78_280z

I drove my Z all the way home (about 2 miles) on about 8 volts. Dim lights, poor dash, you know the symptoms. Within 2 blocks of my house I got pissy and floored it at a stop sign. It was Slinging rocks with roaring exhaust (it was fun) and BAM!, its up to 14 volts! Dash got bright, headlights jumped awake, like nothing was the problem.

What causes this? It is a new (replaced since last posting) Alternator. Is it going bad too? Why is my Alternator not charging at lower RPMs and lower speeds. You could say my Idle is set too low,.. but I drove it for almost 2 miles at about 35-45mph. It didn't charge until I realy gunned it.

Guest tony78_280z

You know... I have the alternator belt off by a tooth, and I'll check and update on this. But I'm thinking that it was doing this before it was off. Never know though. Sometimes it's the simple and overlooked. I hope =)

The old Z's had external voltage regulators. Mechanical ones at that. If that is bad or sticking, then it would cause your problems. If you have a newer one the regulator will be in the alternator. But you still have a voltage sensing wire that tells the internal regulator what the system voltage is.

Either way, a corroded connector or if the sensing wire is chaffed and grounding out somewhere, then that could cause your problem. A bad engine ground is another thing to look for. Any electrical gremlin like that could be fixed by a strong mechanical "jolt".

And with any electrical problem the first thing you do is clean your battery posts whether you think they need it or not.

I'm assuming that you are using a GM one wire alt with your set up. Check to make sure the connection for the sensing wire is good. Put a volt meter on it and wiggle the wire and make sure that connection is good. A bad connection at the sensing wire will cause intermintent charging.

Guest tony78_280z

I have one wire coming off of the alternator that goes into the battery +. And the sensing wire splices back into this same wire as most diagrams for my Alternator type says to do. It is soddered into the wire. The plug isn't of the highest quality, perhaps I should replace it too.

All connections are clean and new. Even the battery. There is no corosion to be found anywhere.

Thanks for the Idears though