HybridZ

92 Stanza KA problem

anyone know what the problem would be? here's the story..

You turn the key to "on" and the check engine light flashes, it flashes in sync with a rapid clicking noise under the hood. The clicking noise seems to be coming from two places.. One, the fuel pump relay. The second place is below the relay box where there are four vacuum switches that have fuel injector style plugs attached to each one of them. If you start the car is runs like crap, won't idle at all and the tach jumps around like crazy. I tried by-passing the fuel pump relay to give it full fuel pressure but it still runs the same. I have no idea what these vacuum switches are for. If somebody can shed some light on this I would be thankful. My best guess is the ECU is toast..

Do you know where the ECU is? And if so, does it have the 'code check' lights on it? I'm not sure what that uses for sensors.. mass air? Could be a torn/ripped rubber boot or hose between the sensor and throttle body, or perhaps the map sensor has died? (I would guess it has one..) I'm not sure what the vacuum switches do.. are all the hoses ok?

I didn't get a chance to look at the ecu as it is likely buried under the kick panel (it dosn't appear to be under the seat) The car uses a MAF sensor, I never checked the boot but I'm sure that it is more of a electrical/electronic problem as the definate "clicking" noise is VERY loud and rapid, it happens even before the engine is started. I am hoping somebody can tell me the purpose of those four little vacuum switches are for as they have the right style of electric plugs to make me assume that they are a part of the ecu system. Looks to me like the ecu is sending a very intermitant signal to the fuel pump relay, but why?? I would hate to buy a new ecu to find out it is something else.