HybridZ

280Z posi upgrade?

Guest Mike694

Guest Mike694

I think I finally found a posi unit for my 280Z with R200 rear end. I found a 85 300ZX turbo car in the salvage yard today. Will this Carrier fit? If not what year does? Someone told me in the past that they thought this would work but I'm going off of memory.

Mike

'85's did not come with a limited slip differential from the factory. Limited slip differentials came in the cars with the build date of 4/87-89 (turbo's only). Within that time, the '88 SS edition (white with white wheels) is a viscous limited slip and requires different halfshafts.

!M!

Guest Mike694

Oh well, Thought I had hit the gold mine. I was ready to go pull it out at the salvage yard today. So to make sure I understand, it has to be 87,88,or89 turbo but not the 88 SSwhite with white wheels. Right?

Mike

So to make sure I understand, it has to be 87,88,or89 turbo but not the 88 SSwhite with white wheels. Right?

Yes and no. I should have been more clear. The '88 SS (white with white wheels) has a viscous limited slip that can be swapped into your 280Z IF you have the correct half shafts to go along with that particular differential.

Here's a list so you know what car had what differential and what gear ratios:

Differential listing

!M!