HybridZ

water/methanol injection

JTabora

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 81na ZX
2. You can do it that way. You will erode the compressor blades a bit after a period of time. Better way is to spray after the turbo. This is why you need a good pump to overcome boost pressure.

I've alse heard that water mist hitting the turbo is bad. after the turbo but before the IC is bad too, cause with that (or pre-turbo) you can get water pooling in the IC (corrosion, no effect, etc). My personal favorite is in the throttle body elbow ~3-6" from the throttle body.

Has anyone had any good experiences with a certain home made kit, what method did you use as far as controlling the injection, and how were the gains? Any information appreciated. I am just want to see who has done what and experienced what kit / ways work better than others.

Has anyone had any good experiences with a certain home made kit, what method did you use as far as controlling the injection, and how were the gains? Any information appreciated. I am just want to see who has done what and experienced what kit / ways work better than others.

Home brew. I use a 5 and 10 gph nozzle stagged, 5 gph @ 12 psi, 10gph @18 psi, no duty cycle just on with a solinoid. I use 50% meth, just for it's cooling properties not to add fuel the other 50% purified water. I can run 26 psi max boost with out knock. I keep it at 24 psi to leave a little saftey margin. Before I added the meth I ran 22-23 psi psi on straight water. I never tested the max boost without knock on water alone though. There isn't much to making your own kit. IMO there isn't much benifit to aftermarket kits if you are not running straight meth and using it for fuel instead of just it's latent heat of vaporation. There isn't enough of a change in my AFR when mine comes on based on my wideband readings. Meth makes max power at around 4.5:1 so you would have to add alot of it to change the afr.

All the links are on my old computer. I know I got the nozzles (nickle plated brass M5 , M10) from McMaster Carr though. 100 psi Shur-flo pump http://www.sprayingequipmentsupply.com/pumps/diaphragm-pump.html has them. 2 100 psi solenoids, 2 pressure switches, clear fuel filter, mylon screen, 1 gallon plastic fuel tank, alot of refrigerator tubing (polyethelyne) and compression fittings, 2 lights hooked to the solenods. You don't want anything metal in there. The solenoids are stainless so they should last a little while.

50% meth, 50% water. I get the meth from a local place that carries race fuel. 5 gallons has lasted about 6 months.

I too have experimented with injecting a 50/50 water/methonal mix into a turbocharged 1600cc Mazda DOHC race engine, with the water/meth inj we were able to increase boost and ignition advance and then we started to make some pretty good power, well over 300hp at the front wheels. Not bad for a little 1.6L.

We also had a iced water spray onto the intercooler and a coil of copper fuel line submerged in the iced water tank to cool the fuel prior to the rail.

It all adds up :wink: