HybridZ

wiring - quick question

260ZRED

Is there anything wrong with using heavy gauge (feels like a 12 or maybe even a 10) 'high power' audio wire for the ignition switch wireing??? I need to route the three wires (fuel, crank, ignition) back to the where they belong (instead of hanging over the fender) and I got some very nice audio wire I need to get rid off. I do solder all my connectors so it won't be a problem.

Would useing this "audio" wire cause any problems?? I can't see why it would, I mean wire is just wire, right? Maybe if the resistance is a lot bigger than normal wire, I shouldn't use it??

Can anybody chime in??? I really want to do the car right..

thanks.

Does the wire have a rating on the insulation? i.e., temperature rating?

Sometimes it is printed or even embossed on the insulation. I don't see any markings on the examples I have here.

Can anybody chime in??? I really want to do the car right..

Personally, I wouldn't, but that's just me.

I would go through the expense of having three different colors of insulation of those hook-ups to allow quicker troubleshooting later.

Wayne

Guest 240zJake

oh yeah...

Check the current and volage ratings of the wire, usually printed on the side. If the ratings are larger than your needs, go ahead, use labels if you dont want to use colored wire, and use heat shrink tubing instead of electrical tape, lasts longer less mess.

Guest magnadyne
Does the wire have a rating on the insulation? i.e.' date=' temperature rating?

Sometimes it is printed or even embossed on the insulation. I don't see any markings on the examples I have here.

Personally, I wouldn't, but that's just me.

I would go through the expense of having three different colors of insulation of those hook-ups to allow quicker troubleshooting later.

Wayne[/quote']

Ditto

Not only for the reasons of temps & insulation of the current, but mainly for the heat temps under the hood.

Wire under the hood has to take the heat of the motor, exhaust, and the weather elements.

Not to say the audio wire won't work, but it is something I would look into.

Just a thought.

You can trust the quality of most of the amp install kits. The red and black power wires are vinyl insulated and hold up well under extreme conditions.

The superfat speaker wire with the clear insulation is not rated for UV, oil, or high temp. Do not use speaker wire.

A good alternative is low voltage direct burial landscape lighting cable. It is very tough and it is chemical resistant too.

Always use multi-strand wires for you automotive needs, stay far far away from natural insulation compounds and silicone insulation. It has a tendancy to split and crack after a few years.

Always place a fuse on the battery end of ANY WIRE YOU ADD.....DO NOT EVEN MOCK IT UP until you have a fuse block installed.