HybridZ

Z31 CV Shafts

Ezzie

Sean73' date='

I have the Modern Motorsport modified flanges on my car right now and they do not add 1/2" to the length of the axle. The original 240 or 280 flange is inset into the adapter so that the outside surface (closest to the wheel) is flush with the same surface of the adapter. There is a little length gained when the adapter is welded to the flange due to it's thickness but not enough to cause binding.

I've run my rear suspension through it's full range on both driver and passenger sides with no binding. I have a 1973 240Z with an R200 and CV axles from a 1984 300ZX Turbo with Ross's adapters and followed the instructions to reverse the cages. It works as advertised.[/quote']

Wheelman - thanks for the info. I realize the companion flange is inset into the adapter, but it's only about 6mm thick, and it doesn't gain much. Even if the adapter adds zero thickness to the shaft, according to my measurements, it would be 1/4" from binding on my stock ride height suspension.

Sean73

1/4" at what point in the suspension travel and how are you measuring it?

Wheelman

OK, let me clarify and think this out loud.

I am measuring the halfshaft total length, from the edge of the wheel side flange, to the point that makes contact with the diff.

With halfshafts removed, and fully compressed, the measurements are:

(drivers side)

STD R200: 15 3/4"

Z31 CV R200: 16"

With halfshaft installed, sitting at stock ride height:

STD R200: 16 3/8"

Z31 CV R200: ???

subtracting the fully compressed length from the installed length gives me the amount of play in the shaft at static ride height:

STD R200 play: 5/8"

Z31 CV R200 play: ???

since I don't know yet the installed length of the CV shaft, I can assume it will have AT LEAST 1/4" less play, because it is 1/4" longer fully compressed:

Z31 CV R200 play = 5/8 - 1/4 = 3/8"

we can add about 1/4" of play for the companion flange inset into modern motorsports adapter, but subtract about 1/2" of play because of the thickness of the custom adapter flange:

3/8 + 1/4 - 1/2 = 1/8 play"

There you have it. The Z31 R200 on the driver's side will have about 1/8" of play installed, at stock ride height, on my car. Is this enough? It must be enough, because people are using the adapter , with probably way more radical suspension than mine.

I am sure it will probably work with my stock ride height, but I'd like to get these measurements down in case I decide later to get radical with my suspension.

Sean73,

When you say fully compressed for the CV axle does that mean you're pushing both CV joints as far in as possible? When you made your measurements had you flipped the CV cage on the outer end of the axle? If not then you need to add an additional 3/8" of play to your equations which would then make it 3/4" of play instead of 3/8".

Wheelman

Sean73' date='

When you say fully compressed for the CV axle does that mean you're pushing both CV joints as far in as possible? When you made your measurements had you flipped the CV cage on the outer end of the axle? If not then you need to add an additional 3/8" of play to your equations which would then make it 3/4" of play instead of 3/8".

Wheelman[/quote']

Yes and Yes. Fully compressed and CV cage reversed.

• 1 month later...