HybridZ

Miata rear subframe in a Z?

Guest 240zJake

Guest 240zJake

I apologize if this has been discussed, but I just got my latest copy of Sport Compact Car (March 2005) and was reading the Techno Babble section by Dave Coleman. He is discussing what he would do with a million bucks, listing the top cars he would want, etc. He says that one car he would want is a 240Z with a scheme like the 432z (silver, black hood, black rivet on fender flairs, black Watanabe wheels, black spoiler) Under hood he wants a 3S-GE with is 6 speed (3S-GE in a Z discussed previously here)

Now the interesting part, he wants the Miata rear suspension in the Z, as "The Mazda Miata's exquisite double wishbones bolt to simple sub frames that connect to the car with just four bolts each". Specifically he wants the 99 sports package with its helical limited slip, which with the Miata tail housing would hook right into the 6 sped on the engine, as the trannies are the same. The double wish-bone would give the z impeccable handling and "nimbleness no Z has ever achieved."

What do you guys think?

Hmm, I don't know much from the tech side of it, so I won't comment on that.

But people that do circut/drift racing don't think much of a miata's turning capability, but you also have to think about the fact that miata is so popular because it's "fun" to drive. Personally I believe a well built street/circut car needs to have a balance of these two ingrediants. The one thing to think about is how much that rear end could hold. I wonder what people who make monster miatas do with the back end of things.