HybridZ

Wheel Sizes

Guest Jim226

Hi everyone this is a newbie question and i have checked the around the pages for answers too it, but have only got a small bit of information. i have a 74 nissan 260z with tokico "blue" shocks and tokico springs. I'm now in the market for a wheel setup and have decided that i want to go with the ZG look, my qestion is what size rims will fit underneath my current setup i was reading on here that 16x9 in the front and 16x9.5 in the rear ? will this work with the shocks and springs i have or do you need to have coilovers to get a ZG flare look ? Also where can i get a set of rims in this size? Sorry for all the questions......thanks to all ahead of time.

I was going to blow you off but I remember when I wnated ZG info and it was a pain for me too.

From reading it looks like you do NOT have coil overs so you already know you can't stuff as much wheel under the car. You don't need coil overs to get wheels to work with ZG's. I got coils so my info might not be as good but from what I remember you can go up to 4" of BS, I would think that 9.5's with 4" BS would look good and fit maybe even 10's

Where to get those sizes? How much do you want to spend? If the answer is lots than you can get them almost anywhere that oes 3 peice wheels. Centerline will make you a 16x9.5 but it won't be warrentied they go for under 200 a peice.

Isk

Ok thanks for the info my other question is you said i would need 4" of Back Spacing.....this is gonna be a stupid question but what is backspacing and how do you get it??? and will 16x9 with -13 offset in the front and 16x9.5 with -19 offset in the rear work or is that to much offset. also what is the min. wideth for a wheel to work with ZG flares ????

Go here for backspace information:

http://www.earlywheel.com/choosing.html

Negative backspace pushes the wheel/rim to the outer fender and beyond for a wider track. Positive Backspace positions the wheel/rim closer to the hub,strut assembly and inner fender. It has been thrown around for years, that too much negative backspace, particularly on the front suspension of a Z is hard on the bearings ( " other members please chime in fact or fiction?). The minimum width of the wheel is relative to the backspace and offset. A minimum range would be 8 to 8.5 inches for a 16 inch wheel on the front, but the backspace is the key. As Iskone stated, coilovers can give you more backspace in conjunction with more width in the front and rear. Also go to http://www.vildinimotorsport.com, they post on the site and have a spec sheet for wheels on there very sweet !!!!!SR20 turbo Z.

Ok thanks for the help.....i'm thinking about going with the panasport C8 wheels, does anyone know what these run for $$$ i called panasport but did not get an answer? Any other info on this topic would be great. Also feel free to chim in on what size rim is perfect with my setup, to achieve the

ZG look

It has been thrown around for years, that too much negative backspace, particularly on the front suspension of a Z is hard on the bearings ( " other members please chime in fact or fiction?).

Just about everything we do to our suspensions makes it harder on the wheel bearings. Wider wheels leverage more twisting loads on the bearings even if the original offset is retained. Change the offset, either inboard or outbourd, and you increase those loads. The Z uses conical bearings up front and cyclindrical (ball bearings) in the rear. Just guessing I'd say the rear cyclindrical bearings could withstand more twinting loads than the front since the bearings have contact to the races over several angles from 0* to 90*, the fronts have contact at only one angle. This is only a theoretical guess though.

Thank you, Dan

I have only seen the front bearing/hub failure one time in twenty years. The wheel was a polish centerline autodrag with a high negative offset (15 x 10 backspace 3.50 inches). But, the guy who owned the Z did not do routine maintenance and performance upgrades, as well as he abused the car, but he had a nice Imron paint job !!!

Jim226,

Panasport C8 priceshttp://www.midatlanticmotorsport.com/panasport_modular.htm

Sorry Dan, your intuition played you false this time...

Tapered Roller bearings have a considerably greater load carrying capacity for a given/similar sized bearing. Rollers have a line of contact along each roller (and generally a bit of preload, so that all really are in contact). Balls have only a point contact on each ball, so the load is concentrated at/on that point; I don't know if the factories can preload them or not... I'd guess not.

It was SOP to replace the early Spridget ball front wheel bearings with the later rollers as they gave less trouble.

Thanks guys for all the replies....i noticed the panasport wheels would be about 1600$, are there any other companies out there that i have over looked??? any info on were i can get a 15x8.5 or 16x8.5. Members with ZG flares were did you get your wheels from......? I just need to know what is gonna work the BEST and look right with ZG's. From what i gathered i wanna go with a 4'' backspacing....i almost forgot would konig rewinds that are 15x7 work with zg flares, there is a set on ebay .

Jim226,

Spending $1600 on wheels alone hurts !!!! No tires, mounting , balancing just wheels $1600.00 is painful !!!But, if you found wheels you like, I say buy them. I am in the position you are in as well. I have 1977 280z with the Tokico Spring/Shock suspension/ with poly bushings sourcing the motor swap parts and looking at brake configurations. I am searching the internet and going to car shows just to get an idea of what is out there as far as wheel selection. If you are thinking Billet wheels your choices: Boyd Coddington, Budnik, Colorado Customs, Billet Specialties, Centerline and Bonspeed ( mainly 5 lug) $$$. Panasports and RS Watannabe but get ready to spend some money also. Another nice wheel you can have custom made to fit your Z is the Complete Custom Wheel CCW $$$$.The other options are any wheels made for Hondas and going with the adapters (large selection mainly 17 and 18 inch and good on the wallet). HRE wheels are also nice and you can get them custom made, but they are costly as well. I am letting my wheel budget determine my wheel/tire choice $1,200-$2000.00 and not a penny more.

The 15x7 Rewinds are designed to be used on a non flared z, they have a 0 offset which leaves the wheel and tire inside the fender with a 225/50 or smaller tire. with a 245/50 they would hit the fender but would not fill the flares enough to look good. To fill the flares you should use a wheel that is wider and has a neg offset like the ones you have read about in the other replies. If it were me I would go for a 16x8.5 with a -12 offset with 245/45/16 in the back and 225/45or50 in the front. You could go wider with 17 inch wheels but they start to weigh more and the diameters get rather large. Smaller lighter wheels and tires feel the best.

Thabks for the wheel info. the centerline wheels are nice i'm just trying to find something with a nice negative offset for that "lip", where can you buy watanabe's at ??? and how much does a set of 16x8.5 go for?

i have compomotive's on my z, 17 x 9's with a yoko 235.40.17 tire. coilovers, no flares and i still have a bit of room left and may go slightly wider with my next set of tires. below is a link to our club website with a look at my wheels. bought them from motorsport specialities in pa. http://www.usacomp.com

dealt with alan and they now have all the specs for our z cars. we spent time back & forth before actually sending me the first wheel to test fitment.

http://www.usacomp.com/Modular.htm [page that shows the wheels that are available]

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1750