HybridZ

5.3 Gen3 suburban motor

hi every one just looking at finding a gen3 motor for my zed the old nissan v8 I have is getting tired found one have been told its 5.3 gen3 with auto from a chevy suburban wondering if any one knew how these went or whether im better to keep looking for a 5.7 still bloody dear down under has anyone heard of a gen 3 powered zed in australia yet

thanks mick

The Gen III truck shares basic architecture with the LS1 engine in the states. There are differences.

1. The truck engine pan sump is rear mounted and verrry deep. Unless you have a pure drag car and 2 inches or so clearance between the sump and the ground is acceptable, you will have to swap the pan for a passenger car of some sort. In the states that would be a "F" bodied GM product: Camaro/Firebird. Pontiac's GTO over here is some version of a Holden, over there. That sump is front mounted like a stateside Ford. I don't know if that sump would clear the Zed's crossmember.

2. The truck Gen III in the states mounts it's accessories high on the driver's side. [The AC compressor over here is mounted down low on the passenger side in both the "F" cars and the trucks.

3. The plastic intake manifold for trucks sits at least 3 inches higher than the "F" cars and the Corvettes. It might interfere with the stock hood.

4. The bolt pattern for the intake manifolds are the same between the truck and passenger car. But the truck mounts it's accessories forward about 3/4 of an inch further than the passenger cars. Compare the crankshaft pulley of a GEN III truck with that of a GEN III passenger car and you will see the difference.

5. If you use the corvette engine mounts and the corvette isolaters, you can mount the front of the engine with little more than on single strap running behind the existing cross member.

For more information, I suggest you use the search function for the following: "LS1 headers" and "LS1 motor mounts" , and "LS1". The forum has a wealth of information from folks who have actually done the LS1 swap rather than someone like me who has the GEN III truck engine on a stand and will go in sometime in the next month.

g