HybridZ

Flushing a transmission non Z

Sumo

The only part of my car i always neglect is my transmission, after i had another part fixed today they recommended a tranny flush. I know they are just trying to sell me a tranny flush job for a $100 bucks but it got me curious. I have 85,000 miles on the car and i was just thinking of having the pan dropped and changed the filter and whatever fluid was lost. Can i get your opinions on flushing vs pan drop only. Thanks

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

If you want to waste money, go for it. Otherwise, just change the fluid and filter and maybe put in a little trans treatment such as Trans-X.

By droping the pan you only change out 3-4 quarts where flushing it will swap out all of the fluid which is something like 12 quarts. In other words when you drop the pan you're only changing out like a 1/4 of the fluid.

Now with that said if the tranny has 85,000 on the original fluid I'm not sure I would flush it. All of that fresh fluid and detergents might do more harm than good.

did they say why they suggested the flush? if it was just because the "fluid is getting old" i'd be kind of sceptical. however, if the fluid is burnt or in someother way damaged i think it's a good idea. i have had a couple of cars where the fluid became 'worn' and the car stopped shifting properly and a flush corrected the problem.

something to keep in mind is that the filter is not changed in one of those flushes, so it's not a bad idea to change the filter yourself after a flush.

so, if it's just routine maintance, i'd drop the pan and change the filter. if there is something wrong wtih the fluid, a flush is the best way to get the old fluid out.

--gabe

There's nothing wrong with the tranny, they are just trying to sell me a flush job.The fluid is not even burnt, it's just regular old fluid and they said it's the mileage on it too. The reason i asked is because they got me wondering about it. Actually i looked in my owners manual and it recommends changing it at 100k "IF" the temperature reaches more than 90 a constantly, severe driving like taxi or police or dusty conditions. I think i'll just do the pan drop at a 100K. I have used Trans X on my 78 Trans Am with 200k on it and some of those old slick 50 stuff which amazingly enough worked. ;)