HybridZ

300zx Z31 Turbo CV Shaft Disassembly

Ezzie

Decided to repack the bearings in my half shafts while I am turning around the races in the outer ends. Got them all apart except for the CV joint at the diff end (stub axle). Do these come apart and if so how??? (Don't have the proper manual). I looked up the parts list in Nissan FAST and they don't even show the race & balls in the exploded view.

If I'm not mistaken, they will pull out of the differential with a little jerk action. There is a circlip that retains the splined end in the differential. Basically, they pop in and pop out with little effort. If I'm incorrect on this, someone please jump in!

Nope - that's not what I mean. I have them off the car. I'm trying to figure out how to take the race & balls out of the stub axle /CV joint at the diff end so I can clean it out and repack the bearing (underneath the rubber boots). I can get the wheel flange end apart easily but not the diff end. The type I have is the one with the six steel balls (Burfield??).

not much help' date=' but is this the shaft you have?

[img']http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v201/74260zt/Diff%20Mount%20Mod/Im000632.jpg[/img]

this is actully a 88SE VLSD diff. I didn't use the outter portion of the axles anyway. James had me a set made up to use this diff in my 260z.

Hi Bob - Rebuild shops get them apart somehow, the shaft is supposed to pull out of the inner joint. It is retained by a circlip. That said, I've never been able to separate the shaft from the inboard joint, and I've tried hard. I just worked some new grease through the joint and replaced the boot on the ones I've done. Nissan sells the inboard joint with the shaft installed, if that gives you a hint...

Good luck

Doug

The fixed joint you pull back the boot, mount the shaft in a vice and tap the rim of the joint with a soft faced mallet to knock the joint off the shaft ( thats what it says in the book but the ones I've done have taken a good hard whack to dislodge the joint off the internal snap ring).

Now the book says that the joint cant be dismantled, but it can, you rotate the cage till it is nearly vertical to the joint and procede to remove all the balls in turn by prying out with a small screwdriver. the cage has 2 larger holes opposite each other, with the cage vertical and the large holes horizontally opposed, remove the cage with spider, then rotate leg of spider into one of the large holes and remove.

Note when reassembling a shaft always make sure that the spiders are aligned exactly with each other ie leg for leg or ball for ball otherwise the joints will fail in use.

Neil, thanks, this is exactly what I needed to know, I'll give it a try and if it is a pain, I'll just repack them as Doug suggested.