HybridZ

1/4 panels

oldnrusty

Guys & girls

I have a 73 240z in Illinois ( salt belt ) . This will be a Ford v8 soon. What is the proper way to install glass 1/4 panels ? Is it over the old or cut off the old ? I dont want cracks . The frame will be connected from front to rear. I am leaning on a donor car for steel parts . I have a steel belt cut right side 1/4 & a glass belt cut right side but nothing for the left side. No one makes the steel panels anymore so I have been told.

Anyone have some good info on this? I'm interested as well as i bought a z with fiberglass 1/4's and rockers and there starting to crack.

I think he cut out the outer rockers completely and put the quarters over the metal ones minus where he cut out the rust.

I'm worried the car may be a basket case underneath and not structurally sound, but he did it in the late 80's and the car is still relatively good today.

Should i pull the quarters off and cut all the metal out and brace it somehow, or just leave it as it is?

Welcome to Hybrid O&R!

There is good info on this in the archives. Do some searching and reading.

Short answer is your Z is a unibody. You must reconnect your wheelhouses to the original steel quarters to retain the structural integrity of the body. Once this is properly done then you can bond the glass fenders overtop.

Cut and paste my friend.. Find a parts car you can cut the 1/4's off, fix them with the still availible patch panels if need be, and 'swis cheez' the thing together. It kight look like a$$ but it'll be all metal and strong. THEN, you can attach the fiberglass panels and mold them to the car.

Jayru, where are you located? My mechanic has about 100 first gen Z cars at his shop. I am sure he will sell you one with rusty pans or a bad motor for nothing.

I'm in NE PA area (Poconos). Send me a PM with his # if you would. I don't have room for another car at the house right now, but maybe in the spring.

I really want to save mine too, it's an original owner car with 87K on it. I can't believe the bonehead owner had it fiberglass'ed in the late 80's like that.

Thanks,

Jay

Jayru, where are you located? My mechanic has about 100 first gen Z cars at his shop. I am sure he will sell you one with rusty pans or a bad motor for nothing.

Sorry to hijack the thread but . . . Sparks - where is your mechanic? There are NO first gens in the junkyards around here (Durham/Raleigh)!