HybridZ

Norton Antivirus

CruxGNZ

My Norton Antivirus does not work anymore, somehow one of the files for Norton was deleted (damn sister fmad.gif ). I have a Gateway with Gateway GoBack, but it wont recover the file for some reason. Does anyone know how to get this program? It's to much of an inconvenience to have to take this thing into a Gateway store.

!M!

Sounds like Klez. One of the less favorable features of this virus/worm is that it seeks out critical Antivirus program files and deletes them. If you virus definitions were not uptodate, then that would be my guess. If it was current, it could simply be a corruption issue.

If you have the Klez virus, goto www.symantec.com and look for the Klez removal tool. It will clean the virus and allow you to re-install your program. Make sure you go get the latest updates before reading any emails.

Hope this helps.

if you do have klez on your computer, it will not allow you to run norton, nor will it allow you to install a fresh copy of norton. if you have zonealarm, look for something like winq

like jasonfen said, use the removal tool if you are having problems getting antivirus software running/installed. the klez removal tool is here: http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.klez.removal.tool.html

it is best to use the tool in safe mode. check the instructions for particulars with your operating system. once you get norton running, be sure to configure auto update so that you can maintain the most current virus definitions. i've seen klez do some funny things, so good luck.