HybridZ

Couple of questions about flywheels...

Guest 1tuffZ

I have a 1971 240 Z and will be dropping in a 280zx turbo engine soon...I do not have a flywheel for this engine yet. I do have 2 240z and one 260z flywheel. Can I use any of these instead? I would assume that the 240z flywheel would be the lightest. Then just get a really good clutch...I'll be running a mostly stock 280zx turbo engine for now with plans to upgrade to about 300hp later.

Anyone have trouble with running 300hp on a 240z flywheel and upgraded clutch?

Thank you,

1tuffz

Dave, if I remember correctly the turbo cars came with a slightly larger clutch surface area as opposed to the NA cars. However, it seems very logical that you could use either of the fly wheels you have along with a high quality clutch assy. I personally prefer a lightened flywheel for a quicker spin-up in RPM.

Name is Jason not Dave, might have me mixed up with someone else? Or is there another member with a similar name? So who makes a NA clutch that can hold 300 HP or so? If I bought say....a CM stage III for a 240Z flywheel, would it hold 300 HP? Can anyone tell me if its the same size flywheel as a NA 280Z?

Thanks,

Jason

hey jason, my name is david. i've had my 1tuffz license plate in ny state for 20 or so years now and it's also my screen name for; hybrid, zcar.com, classic z car, my club website-zccr.net, ebay, strictly z and others. the difference is that you capitalize your Z and i [z] do not. would you consider changing your screen name so no one will confuse us going forward?

i'd certainly appreciate it.