HybridZ

Need some help with my T3 .. wastegate flapper on downpipe!?!

Well..

I recently bought a Z31 water-cooled T3 turbo... and I noticed something different about the turbo from the 280ZX turbo.

It is the same turbo, just the Z31 is water-cooled, HOWEVER,

The 280ZX turbo has the wastegate flapper ON the turbo housing.

The Z31 turbo has the wastegate flapper and housing ON the downpipe.

That stumped me.... I don't know if I can fit the Z31 downpipe on my 280Z ... but I do need to figure something out. I can run an external wastegate, but I don't need one because I am not going to be running much HP or have the money to buy one.

Can I use the stock Z31 downpipe? Should I cut it and modify it? What can I do about the wastegate?

I dunno... I am stumped.. and clueless.. I need help!!

330795_133_full.jpg

330795_134_full.jpg

Thats really odd, because I have a 300zx (Z31) turbo ready to go into my 240z and the wastegate valve is on the body , not on the down pipe.

The downpipe I have is a 45 deg unit as well. Cant remember what year z31 its from.

Are you going to install it into a 280zx or 240z? It seems to me that if you can physically get it to fit into the car, you should be good to go.

Guest kellysguy

Dude, how many times do I have to tell you???? 280 wastegate is SEPERATE from the down pipe AND the turbine housing... You can't use the 300 downpipe, the tranny is in the way. You don't need a 280 turbine housing, JUST the wastegate. The 300 T3 and 280 turbine housings ARE THE SAME!!!! You can use the 280 pipe, or fab your own. There was a guy on e bay selling a dissasembled 280 turbo for like $75, no down pipe though.

I have an 84 z31 turbo in my 240Z and I am using the Z31 down pipe. I had to remove the waste gate and bracket and move it to the front of the turbine outlet so it would clear the intake manifold. This required cutting the metal rod and putting 2 90degree bends and welding on an extension to get it reconnected to the wastegate flapper on the Z31 downpipe. Total cost about $10 and ext rod and welded clamp availble from Lowes. It did take some fine tunning to get the right bends and distance on the extension. I will try to post some pictures if I can get enough light and my camera working. Stick with it and you can get it to work.

You got your Z31 T3 turbo.. and downpipe to fit in your 240Z???

Other than the wastegate modifications... did you do any other mods to the car??

Please please PLEASE take some pics!! Somone told me the Z31 downpipe will NOT fit because it will hit the transmission!!

ohh I need to see this to believe it!!

I just don't want to be screwed when I take off my intake manifold and bolt on my turbo exhuast manifold and turbo.. and find out that it actually DOESN'T fit :(

Are you running a spacer?

WOW!!! That is AWSOME!!!

Do you have a spacer or anything??

Or just the stock turbo exhuast manifold and Z31 turbo??

BTW do you have an 5-speed or an Automatic tranny? The T-5 BW tranny stick out alot so obviously it won't fit with a T-5... BUT.. wow.. it looks like it fits!!

Thank you so so so so so so much for those pics!

1981-1983 - 280ZX turbo xame with a T3 turbo only oil-cooled

1984 - 300ZX turbo came with the same T3 turbo as the 280ZXT turbo (non-watercooled)

1985-1986 - 300ZX turbo came with a new water-cooled T3 turbo, same specs as the 280ZXT turbo.. just (watercooled)

1987-1989 - 300ZX turbo replaced the T3 with a T25 turbo... smaller and less power :(