HybridZ

na l28 questions

PUSHER

Contemplating a lil project for spring break/ beginning of summer. I know I could easily make power cheaply by just throwing in a l28et. But something about staying n/a alures me. My questions is, about how much hp would this make.

n42 head, with whatever cam could best use the compression

f54 block, flat-top pistons

mega squirt with n42 intake

headers and 2.5'' exhaust

I really only need 180-190 whp and equalish torque and was wondering if this could accomplish it. If not, are there any other things I could do to bump it up a bit. I would mainly like to get it maxed out with like 91-93 octane gas. So, if I could bump up compression and run bigger cam I would.

Dunno, was just playing around with the numbers, and was looking about at 1,500-2000 to get a turbo motor with intercooler and goodies(minus stuff I would need for n/a swap like clutch,flywheel, fuel etc.) And for some reason I cant explain to myself I wouldnt feel bad spending 1,500ish for 190hp/180tq instead of going the easy route and getting 240hp/280tq.Also, with every hp question post comes a 1/4 mile time question. Do you think a setup like this could see high 13s? I remember searching about this a while ago and getting more results, did some of the older posts get cleared?

Your engine plan sounds reasonable. My N/A 240z runs a similar setup (except for tripple webbers and an E31) but in my opinion your N42 and injection should make just as much power.

I never dyno'd the 240 but if you run my 1/4 mile numbers at Smokemup.com it works out to around 180 - 190 RWHP. Depending on your race weight you could easily run mid 13's if your tune is on.

If you want to run good 1/4 mile times get some 4:11 or 4:38 gears, a five speed, and some sticky tires. An LSD would help but isn't totally required at this level of power.

Lastly make sure that your cam is matched to your CR. You want to end up at 190 - 200 PSI cranking pressure to make some HP.

BTW if you want to go fast at the track read all the posts you can find from Norm the 12 sec SU dude. This guy knows how to make a 240 really fly!

i dont know about hp numbers but before i put the turbo motor in my 77 i did some work on the na 2.8 and it ran good .beat a 94 camaro with v8/auto in a drag race.i just put in new injectors,injector plugs,gutted the cat,built a good distributor with a better advance curve.car ran very well.with out that nasty afm meter ,some cam and compression a well tuned na car should run fine.need to put on a bigger throttle body though..if i could have a fleet od ist gen z's 1 of them would have a efi 3.1l na motor that was well built.

well, heres what I did.....

I have a flat top block with a maxima N47 head that had larger Z/ZX valves installed, a mild port/valve bowl cleanup job and I had the machine shoop unshroud the valves. My block is an F54 flat top with about 150K on it. My intake is a P82 with no EGR, has the "bumps" removed from the injector mounts and a 60mm TB installed. I have a cone aftermarket air filter. stock injection system and what not. 2.5" catback mandrel bent exhaust. oh yeah, almost forgot a 260Z "C" stamp camshaft 256/256 and stock lift.

With all this I managed 141rwhp@4500RPM. that may not seem like a lot, but at the time, I had a faulty IC unit that acted as a rev-limiter that stepped in at around 4.5K to 5K, depending on air temp, lol! Also, I only got in 1 run on the dyno before the software took a crap and we had to end the dyno night.

I think with a turbo AFM, some bigger injectors and a header, I could probably hit about 175 to 180RWHP. then, If I threw in a cam, well, who knows.

If I were you, Id go the maxima N47 head route instead of the N42. the maxima head has better quench! (this outta ruffle a few feathers) I run about 10 degrees initial on pump gas (91) without ping. I had to dial it back a few after I got my new IC unit.

McAdam