HybridZ

Civic wont start

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1142530

1993 civic ex

rundown....

At first it would die while I was on the highway and bump start itself and continue to run.

Now, it is completeley dead, motor will turn but i dont get any spark when I put a screwdriver in the wire and hold it near a ground.

However, when I bump start it, it will run for a while and I can drive and let it idle and stuff. But it will randomly die.

I have replaced, sparkplugs, distributor, rotor and cap, wires is only thing left but I doubt it will do it.

Anyone have any ideas? or want to drive me home in return for a civic that kinda runs.

Guest 240zJake

Is it throwing error codes?

There is a connector under the glove box next to the door, it has two plugs one with two prongs, short them then the ecu will blink the maintenance light and give you a code.

My Hondas ICM went bad and would quit working when it got hot.

My bet is this is your problem.

But,

I also had the main relay go bad but that killed my fuel pump.

I did loose a ton of power at 3000 RMP once had a hunch and replaced the fuel filter in the engine compartment, turned out the previous owner never realized it needed replacing and i never thought to check it, full of dirt.

Check the spark plug wires with your multi-meter and see if they are the culprit, they should read no more than 25k ohms.

Guest Mugen405

Well, since you know it's a spark issue, track it down backwards.

1) Test every wire at the plug end for spark.

2) Check every distributor terminal for spark.

3) Pull the coil, and test according to the manual. (I can provide the specs if you need).

4) Check the pin voltage at the plug.

5) Check the Main Relay.

It HAS to be something along the line. At some point, electricity isn't making it from point A to B. Just gotta find the break.

Guest Mugen405

Also, where did you source the distributor? Was it new or used? It's very possible you replaced a bad one with a bad one, even if it was new. Coils, Ignitors, and Main relays are by far the Honda's weakest link.

Alright, after replacing cap and rotor my car wont even bump start and the battery is dead so I cant really test all this fun stuff. I got the distributor from advanced auto parts. How do I check if power is comming out of the distributor?

I'm getting like 9 volts to the distributor, so main relay should be fine. Guess Ill check the distributor's ignition coil and see if its in spec.

idk if u have a timing light laying around in ur garage-but wht u do, is hookup the light to the plug wires, and if u see a brite flash-then that means that u have a good spark-if it doesn't, try the same thing, but test it from the distributer cap, if that doesn't work, check the coil-find out wht works, and wht doesn't if the coil works but the cap doesn't-then it mite b a bad coil to dizzy wire

Guest KEINoze

My roommates Civic is having the exact same problem. He drove it for about 60k miles with only oil changes.

Tomorrow, I will replace the following:

1) spark plugs

2) spark plug wires

3) distributor cap & rotor

4) battery cable (-)

If you pull off a plug and smell gas while cranking the engine, then you are getting fuel.

You can also check to see if you have spark at each cylinder by pulling the individual wires and putting the contact close to the strut tower. If you can see a spark jump, then you got juice.

If the above both fails, then your timing can be WAY off. This means you gotta pull off the timing belt cover and adjust/replace that.

BTW, my roommate's car didn't have any check engine codes. So I doubt it can be anything else then those above parts.

Guest KEINoze

I replaced all 4 of the parts I listed above. It starts fine and drove for a mile. Then it stalled and wouldn't start.

This means that the alternator is at fault. Most alternators go at around 100k. It seems on schedule.

Guest Mugen405
I replaced all 4 of the parts I listed above. It starts fine and drove for a mile. Then it stalled and wouldn't start.

This means that the alternator is at fault. Most alternators go at around 100k. It seems on schedule.

If the battery is running dead, then yes, the alternator could be to blame. IF the car turns over but does not start, then it's not the alternator causing the 'no start' condition.