HybridZ

Dizzy Zed

Guest greimann

Guest greimann

I have been around cars for a lot of years and haven't heard the term dizzy (AKA distributor) thrown around until I got back on the bulletin boards. Is that an Aussie term?

And speaking of the Aussies, who is this guy Zed they keep talking about? Must be an awesome car dude to get that much press!

Anyway, cheers and good on ya! cheers.gif

Ya mon, its an Aussie term. I was talking to the guys at Haltech in Australia and it took me a while to figure it out.

I agree on the Zed, what the heck is it, how do you pronounce it, and where did it come from???

Owen

Guest bang847

"Ya Mon" thats jamaica Owen!!

regarding dizzy... I sort of like the term... I have already incorporated it into my grease talk..

and as for "ZED" this goes back to british english.. when you learn english in UK or a one of its' colonies (except USA) the letter "Z" is pronounced "ZED" trust me I got in many arguments with people in malaysia about that....

I say Z you say ZED...

Im actually suprised that you guys havent heard about this... in many of the Z books the Z is often referred to as the ZED.. havent yall downloaded TopGear videos? BMW ZED 3???

Guest Zpeed

dizzy is distributer.. we cant be stuffed saying a few more silibols... hehe

mum is mom,

sometimes i say Z, sometimes i say Zed, matters how i am saying it...

if i say i am going for a ride in the Z

but i say 260z"ed"

weird.. but oh well.. who cares what u call it, its still the same thing

There are so many words that are different between Australia and the USA, like dizzy for distributor, boot for trunk, bonnet for hood and offcourse we dont say Zee we say Zed.

We also never had a 240 Zed with only 4 gears ( most of our 5 speeds had the 2.9 first close ratio box ) or emission controls.But while our exchange rate will double your money , why not come over and have a look.

Steven

My wife is from the southern hills of ohio, and has always called the trunk a "boot".It drives me nuts ugg.gif she also cals the glove box or glove compartment "the dash"

me)Where are my sun glasses honey? her)In the dash. me) Where at in the dash? :confused: behind the speedo? or the sterio? twak.gif

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, I frequent alot of the Locost sights and most of them are in england. Bonnet = Hood, Z is said as Zed, Dizzy = distibutor and some how aluminum gets a extra sylable and letter and is pronounced al-u-min-ium. Also, if you looking for a napsack that attaches your waist and hang off a strap and your in Australia, DO NOT ask for a 'Fanny Pack'. I had a Female co worked fly there on corporate business and did the very thing, she was getting weird looks and shrugs. Fanny is used as 'Vagina' basically, what she wanted was a 'Bum' pack. smile.gif

You want to hear a english language that doesn't sound like english? Listen to a East ender londoner, my word. (Or this scottish guy I met in Tempe, his brough is so thick its hard to understand for us Yanks.) I rather like the 'queens' english, its a shame we've destroyed so much of it with our slang over the years, I still try to stuff in a few of they're words in my vocabulary when I can.

Regards,

Lone

Guest greimann

If ya want to get real picky, in the automotive business, what is commonly identified as the "dash" is really the instrument panel or IP for short. The dash is really what we know as the firewall. This goes back to the origins of the automobile before there were instruments, glove boxes and cup holders. Remember the Curved Dash Oldsmobile?