HybridZ

Muncie 4-speed...

Guest Figlio_del_Diavolo

Guest Figlio_del_Diavolo

My friend is currently building a 260Z with a Chevy 350. Originally he was looking at getting a T5, but now seems to want to get a used Muncie 4-speed. Has this been done before in a SBC-powered Z? What are you guys' opinions on using said gearbox? Thanks for any input you can give.

i may or may not use my munice. its an m20 out of a 65 chevelle with a 327 SB. i have a hurst street super shifter with billet alluminum 3"set back plate and matching straight aluminum rods with heim ends. May sell if interested. I figure since the shifter new cost 250 and the rods and plate cost 316 700 bucks for everything is probably fair. shifter was used for about 6 months in other car and tranny should be good but maybe do bearings/synchros for safety.

jake

Guest Figlio_del_Diavolo

Turns out it was actually a Saginaw 4-speed. Bell housing came yesterday too. All his parts are finally coming together. Car should be done in a few weeks.

Guest CheepA$$Racing

If you want to make your buddy's life very easy, tell him to get an '82-'84 Camaro bell housing. It rotates the tranny about 15 degrees to make make room for the clutch fork and has a hydraulic slave cylinder mounting provision. The rotation means you will not need to do surgery to fit the clutch fork (just beat the corner of the floor in a little) and you can follow the rest of the instructions in the JTR manual for getting the clutch master cylinder to work.

He will still have to work out a shifter linkage and shifter mount. The Camaro shifter mount leaves the shifter high and to the left. but a very simple mount can be made out of a piece of bent 1/4" steel plate. You will have to fab shift rods too, if you change the shifter location. There's just barely room in the tranny tunnel for the shift rods and hardware. If you don't use the Camaro bell housing, you can get a hydraulic throwout bearing and not have to use a clutch fork at all, but it will cost you a few bucks.

So does a T-5 sound easier yet?

I am using a Saginaw in my EMod Autocrosser, just because they are cheap and will live through being banged hard in such a light car. I hope he did not pay a Muncie price for a Saginaw tranny!